Dwarf green beans and variations on the two sisters

• 12 Replies

Snoop

Dwarf green beans and variations on the two sisters
« on: April 30, 2015, 09:37 »
In my continuing bid to maximise the harvest from my much reduced plot, I'm wondering whether I can grow dwarf French beans in among other crops as they develop, for example Brussels sprouts, which have quite a large gap between them. I also have some very tall chilli plants (over a metre tall) that I reckon this might work with.

The beans I have (Strike, seem not to be available in the UK as far as I can see but were recommended by the garden centre I visited yesterday) grow 30 to 60 cm tall. Spacing according to US websites 5 to 10 cm between seeds, 60 cm between rows. But I'm thinking of growing them like the locals: in stations of four seeds, 30 cm between stations in a row. If I do grow them like this, I reckon I'll have to provide a surrounding structure to support them while at the same time reducing their interference with the other 'sister'. I envisage the structure being short lengths of cane uprights with soft twine to provide horizontal rings.

Is this a bad idea?

Headgardener22

Re: Dwarf green beans and variations on the two sisters
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:18 »
I've not tried it with beans, but I use lettuces in a similar way, dotting them between other plants that need bigger spaces. Sometimes it works well other times not and I get additional compost.

I suppose I wouldn't rely on it as the only place for beans but as an extra, at least whilst experimenting.

LotuSeed

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 11:21 »
Depends on how big the sprout plants are. If the beans grow too quickly, they could shade out the sprouts. On the other hand, bush beans are pretty "flexible" so if they do start outpacing the sprouts you could easily reign them in.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 12:52 »
Thanks, guys. I reckon I'll give it a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It's a long south-facing bed, so with any luck shading won't be a problem.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 14:30 »
I had a good experience with turnips and pak choi in amongst the brassicas- under the net and liking the firm ground too.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 21:49 »
I love intercropping things. Some you win, some you lose but it's worth experimenting.  I have intercropped with dwarf beans and as long as the soil is fertile you should be ok if other stuff does flop over them a bit.  I did Little Gem lettuces successfully in the broad beans.  Mispoona, mizunba, mibuna - I mixed the seeds and sowed those between rows of PSB

One thing I did find that doesn't like competition and that's the long red onions, with the delish foliage. 

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 08:04 »
I don't net anything, pigguns. There are plenty of birds about, but we have three cats and three very boisterous dogs, plus my current patch is quite close to the house. I think most birds will give us a wide berth! Even so, it's good to hear you had some success.

Thanks for the comment, compostqueen. I have room for some lettuce now and was thinking of tucking others in among the tomatoes later in the season as I'm sure they'll enjoy the shade. I've just now decided to put a bishop's bell chilli in between the two courgette plants I'm growing. Apparently bishop's bell grow over a metre tall but I don't think it will interfere with the courgettes. I'll only be growing one, but it's better than none!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 19:25 »
Netting not for the birds- for the cabbage whites  :mad:

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 20:36 »
I was planting mini cabbages on my raised bed yesterday. The sweet, delish little Hispi and the diminutive curly, savoy cabbage Samantha. Two beautiful little varieties and perfect for small spaces. You don't always want a huge cabbage if there's not a lot of mouths to feed.  I did plant minicole too but they are not as small despite their name

Snoop

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 07:41 »
I'm about to get some Hispi, smallish caulis (Candid Charm, recommended by Kristen) and a few broccoli going today.

I tried Samantha last year but didn't like them all that much. We found them a bit tough. Maybe it was something to do with how I grew them. Ordinarily, Savoy is our favourite type of cabbage.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 07:44 »
I've had good success growing climbing french beans up sweetcorn.  I just shoved a couple of seeds in at the base of the sweetcorn plants when they were about 60cm high and let them get on with it.

When the sweetcorn was harvested, I left the stalks where they were and picked the beans until they had finished  :)

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 15:21 »
Adding to new shoots comment if you plant ballotti beans for drying then you can harvest them after you've picked the sweet corn cobs and you don't need to fight your way in amongst the growing corn.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 15:57 »
Thanks guys. I tried growing borlotti beans last year and was a bit disappointed with the results. Far fewer beans than I expected for the effort involved. I had rather decided against them this year but will add them to the seed list for next year.

xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe
xx
dwarf green beans

Started by val on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 20:41
by wighty
xx
What do I do with dwarf green beans?

Started by snooziebunny on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2014, 14:22
by 3759allen
xx
Replacing dwarf beans with dwarf beans

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 30, 2022, 18:59
by Anton

Page created in 0.689 seconds with 29 queries.