NEW MEMBER NEW PLOT PARTLY IN SHADE

• 11 Replies

Martin the Mug

NEW MEMBER NEW PLOT PARTLY IN SHADE
« on: April 15, 2015, 16:19 »
Hi,

Have just got a plot which hasn't been cultivated for 4 years and is shaded due to being on the boundary next to a wood on the west side. Hence my log in name  :D

But any plot is better than no plot I'm thinking. I'm not a huge allotment expert having only grown veg once before in 2012 (beans, spuds, onions, salad gear etc).

I understand I will only get the sun until mid afternoon.
Is there any immediate basic advice anyone can offer on what I will and will not be able to grow?
Many thanks
Martin

3759allen

Re: NEW MEMBER NEW PLOT PARTLY IN SHADE
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 17:56 »
do you get sun from early morning until mid afternoon? if so thats not too bad.

you should be able to grow most things, put the sun loving plants in the part that gets the most sun.

i would be more concerned about the nutrient shortage you may have by the trees near bye using them up. and the drainage of the soil (if its not well draining and small amounts of sun it will be water logged for longer).

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 18:57 »
Hello Martin and welcome. You could choose to keep the more shady end for compost heaps, storage area etc.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 20:31 »
Some crops such as lettuce will welcome growing in partial shade rather than full sun.
Also you may be able to play with height of the soil eg you could have carrots growing in a tub/bin some 6 foot off the ground thus meaning the sun may reach them at this level and minimise fly attack.

Good luck
HH
Keep digging

green_lolly

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 21:33 »
I've got almost the same situation Martin so I'll watch this thread with interest.
diary http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=118734.0

photos on Instagram - user name also green_lolly

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 08:47 »
If put your compost heaps, etc next to the border, and then get hold of some white boards and build a reflective fence in front of them, that will help lighten a dark space.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

Ivor Backache

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:55 »
Shade can be a positive. Lots of people have shaded gardens. What you are really talking about is light. You say it has been cultivated for 4 years, so that tells me that there are no serious problems.
What would concern me is the roots of these trees. How much moisture is taken out of the soil. You know how much rain you have had recently..is the ground dry?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 12:17 »
There was a similar plot on my site that had been left vacant for many years due to the trees down the full length of the plot on the west side, but during the boom in allotment interest, eventually even this plot was taken on.  The plot never thrived and eventually the tenant left and soon after the trees were removed.

Tree roots and shade do sound like a major problem - how about raised beds?  A good height will also allow some beds to have sunlight for a little longer, and depth for deep rooted veg.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 08:58 »
Rhubarb does not mind being in the shade. Flowering plants generally need sun to flower well. Leafy ones, such as cabbage, may not need it the same.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 20:43 »
Raspberries don't mind shade, also I have found over the last few years that spring sunshine has sometimes been too hot for some crops. I have shaded peas, also lettuce, fennel, rocket etc to stop bolting.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 19:07 »
Leaf crops don't like full sun too much, as pink aubergine has already said.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Martin the Mug

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 11:31 »
Thanks for all the great advice - sorry I've been away for a few days so haven't replied.

Haven't actually seen the plot yet as we move there in a couple of weeks but I've been told the plot did have some nice fruit trees on it (to which I thought "so that's an orchard then, not an allotment!) at one stage so guessing the nearby wood isn't too much of a problem vis a vis taking up water. It is in Cumbria so plenty of water usually descends from the sky!

Will certainly look at possibility of raised beds, and composting at southern end of site (there is a house gable end on the southern side of plot also, which casts further shade :-( ). Plus I LOVE rhubarb so that's definitely going in.

Will report back when we get up there and I can assess the plot and the type of soil. In the meantime I am suitably encouraged by all your positive thoughts - many thanks.

Cheers
Martin

xx
Plot in the shade

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 09:49
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
Shade from Plot Neighbours Rules

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 13:15
by pigguns
xx
Bed in the shade

Started by Firstyear on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 06, 2019, 13:27
by Goosegirl
xx
To shade or not to shade.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2021, 13:29
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.63 seconds with 31 queries.