Raising PH.

• 8 Replies

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
Raising PH.
« on: March 31, 2015, 17:07 »
I have recently bought a ph/4 way meter and most of my compost has a reading of 5.5. I have planted a fair amount of veg in this mix and they look healthy so far but I am wondering if there is any way to raise the ph when plants are already in containers etc, most of what I have read says to add lime in the autumn!!! Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Hampshire Hog

Re: Raising PH.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 17:22 »
I think you can use lime later as long as you don't plant/sow immediately. Indeed some people advise putting some lime under the hole you dig for a brassica as long as you cover it with compost. I have just added lime (last week) and plan to plant the Calabrese once these winds die down. Hopefully this will work!

Cheers HH
Keep digging

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 21:00 »
Have you checked the accuracy of the meter in acidic,neutral and alkaline solutions. Some people have found these meters are not always calibrated very well.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 22:50 »
If this is bought compost then it will probably have been corrected to neutral, pH 6.5 to 7, by the producers so that it is suitable for most crops. That is unless it is for acid loving plants.

I agree with hog that these meters are not always reliable. Test some of your ordinary garden soil for comparison. The kits with tubes and powder sold in garden centres are a bit more faff but pretty exact.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 08:52 »
I think I read ?? that the cheap pH meters sold in garden centres etc. measure pH in a way that is suitable only for soil, and not potting compost.

The commercial compost I buy is not sold as Ericaceous, per se, but its specification definitely says it is pH 6.0 rather than neutral. Dunno if that translates into composts available at the local Sheds though?

http://www.william-sinclair.co.uk/commercial/ornamentalhorticulture/growingmedia/pottingandbeddingcomposts

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:20 »
I bought the meter off ebay, its the one with a single stem and black and yellow colour, a lot of the cheaper models looked naff. One other reason I bought this particular meter is it will reed moisture levels and as I am experimenting with wicking tubs etc it will help me keep track of any mistakes I have made. I suspect the meter might be reading a touch low as I have tested a fresh bag of Westland MPC and it is showing 6.5 and not 7 as I would expect. I have blitzed eggshells and will give each tub a light sprinkle but it will probably take months for any effect to take place, still learning, cheers Dave

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 09:26 »
All the reviews I've seen suggest that at best most of the cheap meters give inconsistent results, at worst just plain wrong.

'Proper' pH meters cost several hundred pounds - you can never be sure whether your much cheaper device is telling porkies or not without buying an indicator dye pH testing kit to compare its results with, in which case you may as well have just bought a test kit in the first place.

Chemical tests are a lot more faff of course, but how often do you actually need to test your soil or compost?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 10:03 »
I am trying to make as much home made compost as I can this year and I wanted to know if the balance was ok or if any adjustments are needed, the compost I make this year will be bagged and stored away for next year so if lime is needed it will have time to absorb into the mix over winter, cheers Dave

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 22:22 »
I think the only cheap and reliable way to check pH is by wet chemistry, ie. a soil test kit. More of a faff but way more accurate than a cheap meter.

xx
Fund raising

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 28, 2009, 18:41
by beansticks
xx
raising seedlings

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 23:47
by cooperman
xx
raising the strawberry bed

Started by Annen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2013, 07:00
by m1ckz
xx
Clearing a plot and general seed raising

Started by mum51965 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post March 12, 2016, 06:42
by Plotmaster

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 29 queries.