Blueberrys

• 26 Replies

Dopey113

Blueberrys
« on: March 22, 2015, 17:28 »
Hi All, I am thinking of putting 3 Blueberry bushes in my lotty, I have been told ( from the sellers that is) for a higher yield, and bigger fruit (although they are self pollinating) a good choice would be  2 'Pinkberry' + 1 'Powder Blue', is this a wise choice?? thanks all
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

simonwatson

Re: Blueberrys
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 18:10 »
I don't know about needing multiple bushes because, as you say, they're self fertile. However they do like a very acid soil, pH 5.5 or so. I've got a single plant this winter and I'm growing it in a tub to make it easier to keep the pH right.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 18:16 »
They are self-fertile, but you get a bigger yield with more than one.  I've not heard of the varieties you mention.  I've got three different, an early, mid=season and  a late to try and extend the season.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 18:25 »
I have just bought 3 x top hat. They are high yielders ( apparently) and are compact. I like the idea of compact because they will have to be grown in pots because of their soil preferences. :)

Dopey113

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 21:05 »
Thanks all

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 22:26 »
when you say pinkberry is that another name for pink lemonade?

before i brought my blueberries this year i had a chat with the people at trehane nurseries (seem to be really genuine and helpful) and they said they trialed pink lemonade and didn't have great deal of success. although they don't sell them for this reason they didn't say not to buy them from anywhere else (suprising in this day and age) but did say that they may take a lot longer to crop than the more popular blueberries.

they also said that it is better to have all different varieties to spread the harvest time.

i also remember them or others saying that it's more reliable to hand pollinate even though they are meant to be self pollinating. i will check back in my e mails for details.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 00:08 »
We've got 3 blueberries and 1 pinkberry. The pinkberry was little when bought and has only been in a year so will probably set fruit for the first time this year. We've got 2 Northland and 1 Duke and they've all fruited well so I don't think it matters too much what you pick.

You do need to recognise that pot size is not an indicator of plant size however and younger plants will take some time to fruit. Some sites will sell young plants in 3 litre pots and some sell older plants in 3 litre pots. It's generally the cheaper ones that are the younger plants.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 10:14 »
I don't know about needing multiple bushes because, as you say, they're self fertile.
I think self fertile is over rated - probably by marketing departments?! because all? fruit trees (not just Blueberries) that are self-fertile benefits from cross pollination, to some degree or another.  Cross pollination can prevent, or at least improve, varieties that tend to biennial fruiting, and in many/most? cases causes better pollination and some would say better tasting fruit (no idea why that would be or if it makes objective sense even ...)

Self fertile often means that the plant produces shed loads of pollen so, by the law of averages, manages to pollinate itself.  That characteristic also means that they are great pollinators for other varieties, of course :)

I think? that all Blueberries flower at the same time, so IMO worth getting Early, Mid and Late varieties - they will cross pollinate and spread the harvest.

Dopey113

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 15:09 »
Thanks for all the help, I Just bought 3 blueberry buses from RHS blueberry 'Chandler', 'Bluecrop', and 'Spartan' for £25 in 2lt pots. I will gather up some pine needles this week (for acid soil) and mix it in with some compost, and see how it pans out, thanks again

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 15:54 »
will gather up some pine needles this week (for acid soil) and mix it in with some compost
'Fraid it's a myth that Pine needles help with acidifying the compost.  They won't do any harm, but don't go to a lot of trouble :)

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 16:40 »
Agreed - you'll need a bag of ericaceous compost to dig in to raise the acid level of the soil.

3759allen

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 21:55 »
this myth was discussed on here recently.

personally i think green pine and tea/ coffee grounds will help maintain the acidity. i can see how there is a very minimal acidity in these but as the amount of acidity that will be washed out of the compost is also very minimal they should balance.

it's definitely worth investing in acid compost otherwise you have wasted £25. from what i read people advise that it is more effective planting in large containers rather than mixing acid compost into a bed. i have taken this on board and used the bottom third of water butts with holes in for drainage, buried in the ground. it looks like they are in the ground/ bed that i think looks better and hopefully stops them drying out so much

Geordie

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 22:38 »
I planted 3 Blueberries in 2012 in blue barrel segments filled with ericaceous compost and they have done very well - had a great crop last year.

I have been applying sulphur chips every spring to keep the acidity up and apart from feeding every now and then with ericaceous feed in rainwater done nothing else.

I've attached some pics from 2012 and from last month.

:nowink:
BlueBerries_Sep_2012.jpg
Blueberries_Feb_2015.jpg

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 09:00 »
i can see how there is a very minimal acidity in these but as the amount of acidity that will be washed out of the compost is also very minimal they should balance.

There isn't any acidity, to speak of, in dead pine needles.

http://www.gardenmyths.com/pine-needles-acidify-soil/

I have only ever seen inconclusive evidence about Coffee Grounds being acidic.  The grounds themsevles vary in pH (some may be significantly alkaline), and during decomposition in soil the pH may rise then fall.  No clear indication that they acidify the soil that I have seen.

Good organic matter though, as are pine needles.

An example (not detailed enough for my liking, but Linda Chalker-Scott is an authority on such things)
http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/horticultural%20myths_files/Myths/Coffee%20grounds.pdf

I don't think there is any quick-fix [for growing on Alkaline soils] except growing in containers, using Ericaceous compost and watering only with rain water
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:02 by Kristen »

Dopey113

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 14:56 »
Happy with the size and the quality looks good as well, you think I should trim the one with the leaves on, or just leve it alone, I will get the correct compost before I plant them, I was thinking of putting them in a tyre, and take them out of the pot? is this a good idea, or a bad one?
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG

xx
Blueberrys?

Started by Minty on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post November 27, 2008, 17:12
by Minty
xx
JParkers blueberrys

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 21:00
by sunshineband
xx
sickly looking blueberrys

Started by jakes-old-man on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 09:27
by JayG
xx
STRAWBERRYS AND BLUEBERRYS

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 08:48
by ANGEL_S

Page created in 0.747 seconds with 29 queries.