Peas

• 20 Replies

jambop

Peas
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:52 »
Thought I would try some unprotected early sowings of peas a week or so back but it has been quite cold since sowing and I am worried they will just rot. What are the chances the may make it through? Peas are tricky down here most people sow them in the late winter for an early crop because it usually gets too hot for them much after mid June, my garden water logs very easily though so I don't try them because they would probably just drown :)

m1ckz

Re: Peas
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 13:22 »
i did the same  about 10 days ago....nothing showing yet

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 13:33 »
Mine are still in their packet waiting for some warmer weather.

Even the ones in the cold greenhouse are very slow growing atm.

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 14:56 »
I always thought the idea was to wait until the soil was warm enough to sit on bare bottommed before sowing more or less anything outside. :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 15:55 »
Mine are still in their packet waiting for some warmer weather.

Ditto. More haste less speed.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jambop

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 20:41 »
Normally I would agree with the less speed method but with peas down here they have normally finished cropping by mid to third in week June when it starts to get very hot so you really need to get them in early if you can. I do have more for later sowings but I fear I won't get any this year ... too late :(

luke34

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 21:52 »
well i have sowed some peas in a drainage gutter for the first time this year.in the polytunnel they are coming on lovely about an inc high will be planting them out soon.will definitely do them this way again
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 22:50 by luke34 »

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 00:13 »
Thought I would try some unprotected early sowings of peas a week or so back but it has been quite cold since sowing and I am worried they will just rot. What are the chances the may make it through? Peas are tricky down here most people sow them in the late winter for an early crop because it usually gets too hot for them much after mid June, my garden water logs very easily though so I don't try them because they would probably just drown :)

Gently dig a few up to see what is happening. If they are germinated and putting down a root they will soon grow away when it comes warm. If they are soft and rotting you will have to re-sow. One of the problems with crops growing slowly is that bugs and slugs start to damage them. Fingers crossed!

EllenJane

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 00:22 »
I do mine a bit different, I sow them 4-5 each in large modules (5x3) inside mid february, harden them off and then about now they go out. Sounds a faff but i simply draw a wide drill and pop them in. They have plenty of roots by that stage so they come out the modules easily with little root distubance and easier than guttering. Two short rows took all of 15-20 minutes today.

We've always sown early, by we I mean my father and also my grandfather before him. But then we are in the south, Always works well for us. Only disadvantage this way is that there's loads of module trays around but as we haven't got much else started yet and they're not round for long it's not a problem. I've never tried direct sowing but my dad tells me that he's never had any success that way so I figure if it ain't broke...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 09:01 »
This is how I grow mine too Ellen. The main reason for avoiding direct sowing is that we are plagued by voles at our site , who believe the seeds to be planted solely for their benefit.

It works a treat, and as you say, takes hardly any time to plant them out  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 09:43 »
I was wondering if it would work to have a succession in the same row rather than a row here and a row there.

I was thinking some plants raised in the greenhouse interspersed with some direct sown seed.  Do you think that would work or would you just get a tangle of old and new?
Anne

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 09:46 »
I think that would just create problems.

I like to finish harvesting a row and then clearing it out. In fact I usually do 4 x 32ft rows and be done with it! (Apart from the odd heritage pea I'm seed saving).

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 10:17 »
I was wondering if it would work to have a succession in the same row rather than a row here and a row there.

I have 4' wide raised beds and I find it easier to have my rows "across" the beds rather than "along" them.  So that gives me the opportunity for succession etc.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 10:37 »
I don't know why but I never think of putting the rows across the beds. It might be because I try not to walk on the soil, so I automatically make the rows along the paths.  I suppose if the beds are only 4ft wide (which mine are) then I could reach in fairly easily or put a plank down to stand on while picking.
I'll give that a go Kristen, ta.

Snoop

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 10:58 »
I've done modules before. The only problem is that I don't always have time to put the modules out when they're ready. I'm hoping to do a total of 18 metres of peas this year, and I quail at the thought of all those modules. So I'm going to try direct sowing this year.

I always thought the idea was to wait until the soil was warm enough to sit on bare bottommed before sowing more or less anything outside. :D

I guess I could manage that where I live (if I wasn't worried about ruining the tilth of my soil!) but I think you'd get some funny looks on an allotment site.  :)

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
Peas

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 20:02
by green fingers
xx
Peas

Started by pipfit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2016, 10:45
by annieanne49

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 30 queries.