Raspberries....Is it too early?

• 6 Replies

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
Raspberries....Is it too early?
« on: February 08, 2015, 18:54 »
I am growing summer fruiting raspberries for the first time this year and I noticed there was a new shoot near one of the canes, I have 8 and non e of the other have any shoots.  Or is it just a weed  :(  It does look like a tiny raspberry leaf??  But I am thinking it's too early.

Any thoughts welcomed   :)

3759allen

Re: Raspberries....Is it too early?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 20:47 »
i put a summer variety in 2 years ago and i still can't make sense of them. some come early and late (2 crops) and some come in summer. they have a mind of their own. on the up side for me i get a long cropping time.

this year i've cut some canes right down to the ground and left some as canes. i'll post results in the autumn.

all i would say is go with the flow and let them get on with it for a couple of years and see how they go.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 08:47 »
I am growing summer fruiting raspberries for the first time this year and I noticed there was a new shoot near one of the canes, I have 8 and non e of the other have any shoots.
Its early, but Raspberry plants grow as suckers from the roots, so new ones will appear in "Spring".

i put a summer variety in 2 years ago and i still can't make sense of them. some come early and late (2 crops) and some come in summer. they have a mind of their own.

Were they a cheap-deal?  I read quite a lot on the forums of people buying the cheap-deals around now, and not getting what the label said the plants should be!

Sounds like your extended season mixed variety is perfect though :)

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 19:37 »
They were from a well established independent garden centre, I guess I could go back and ask them  there thoughts.  I guess I spend an average amount of time there  :ohmy:

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 20:47 »
I am growing summer fruiting raspberries for the first time this year and I noticed there was a new shoot near one of the canes, I have 8 and non e of the other have any shoots.
Its early, but Raspberry plants grow as suckers from the roots, so new ones will appear in "Spring".

i put a summer variety in 2 years ago and i still can't make sense of them. some come early and late (2 crops) and some come in summer. they have a mind of their own.

Were they a cheap-deal?  I read quite a lot on the forums of people buying the cheap-deals around now, and not getting what the label said the plants should be!

Sounds like your extended season mixed variety is perfect though :)

they were from a local bloke who grew them in his garden. so could possibly be a mix and match or maybe not even a true variety. his looked good and healthy and as they should have been so i had no reason to doubt him.

in a way i'm glad they've gone weird as it's saved me buying early, mid and late varieties. i've now given up trying to understand them and just enjoying them.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 18:31 »
Mystery solved, it was not my raspberries sprouting early it was a stray parsnip that had started producing leaves again.  Fell a little foolish  :blush: but hey you live and learn.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 11:21 »
I don't think anyone on here would have thought of that either so don't feel foolish!  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan
xx
1st early 2nd early main crop....what ia the difference

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 07:54
by arugula
xx
Early early purple broccoli

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 07:45
by Kristen
xx
Raspberries

Started by adekun on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 09:39
by muntjac

Page created in 0.754 seconds with 28 queries.