What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

chillimummy

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #840 on: September 09, 2015, 21:22 »
Quick visit to plot today.
Finally some cobs on sweetcorn but need some sunshine if going to have any crop  ::)
More time in garden today and greenhouse.
Cut grass, moved herb pots around, quite a few growing at moment, mint, thyme, oregano, parsley, coriander and chives.
Picked last of cucumbers and put plants on bonfire as couple of the plants had mildew. Cucumbers quite small but have had good crop altogether.
Picked some tomatoes which are finally ripening. Moved my excess tomatoes which were outside, into greenhouse so hoping bit of sun and warmth will finally ripen them all.   
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

jaydig

« Reply #841 on: September 10, 2015, 16:45 »
Picked a load of odds and ends, including little turnips which didn't, (hooray!!!!), have cabbage root fly in them.

Dug over an area where I've harvested the crop and covered it with plastic ready for the winter.

Still lots of weeding and digging over to do, and the weeds still seem to be growing as quickly as ever.

Took advantage of the lovely autumn day and stopped now and then to have a chat to other 'plotters'.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #842 on: September 12, 2015, 19:01 »
Made first bit of border around the 'sitting out' area, and bought flower bulbs to plant in it, tulips, daffs etc for a splash of colour in spring!!

Flowertot

« Reply #843 on: September 12, 2015, 20:39 »
Weeded, weeded, weeded...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #844 on: September 12, 2015, 20:55 »
Show day! Won prizes, helped on the plant stall, got very tired feet.
Anne

Aled

« Reply #845 on: September 14, 2015, 11:15 »
Looked at my cucumber's! That's it.
Cheers
Aled

chillimummy

« Reply #846 on: September 14, 2015, 17:42 »
Picked large cabbage and more beans and peas. They are nearly done so started to pull them up ready to dig over area.
Picked raspberries.
Chopped off more foliage from kestrel potatoes ready to dig up soon.
Next job for plot is dig up potatoes, peas and beans and weed. Need to pull up weed fabric from path and renew also.   

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #847 on: September 14, 2015, 20:39 »
Took bags of home compost ready for next years growing. Picked first corn on the cob, managed to find two of reasonable size, planted 40 , a little bit disappointed . Weeding , pity can't eat them as they seem to do quite well!. Cut back grass verge. Called it a day when heavens opened.

Had cobs for tea, worth the effort.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #848 on: September 14, 2015, 21:38 »
Well Yesterday, Sunday, 13 September 2015
But big story of the day is that as I come along to my allotment I have passed an array of what look like the big black boxes musicians use when they are setting up a gig.... "Ah", I think, "maybe they are having a little bit of music to encourage everyone to pass on their spare apples for the cider making".  But no, it's GARDENER'S WORLD with Joe Swift doing a piece about cider making ( to be shown on 25th September), who are set up on the allotment just down the path.  when I say to Mick that they're making a TV program, his comment is " what do they want to be wasting their time filming on such a messy plot for, you can't see what's what over there!"  They do however grow, apples, grapes, hops and a variety of other exotica, but I don't say anything....  and now I know why they were cutting their grass and giving the place a big tidy up on Thursday when I came!  I spend the rest of my session there just the other side of the hedge listening to the takes and re-takes.  Do feel a bit sorry for the other allotmenteers on plots close by who also help make the various alcoholic drinks but weren't invited to participate. 

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #849 on: September 15, 2015, 20:08 »
Put about 100 senshyu overwintering onion sets in. Planted some snowdrops, crocus, daffodil, tulip bulbs for spring colour and pulled strawberries up as they've had it. And a little bonfire. Pleasant evening after work.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #850 on: September 16, 2015, 19:52 »
Dressed onions this evening. Fine harvest!

Eblana

« Reply #851 on: September 17, 2015, 08:08 »
Bought 2lb of onion sets plus some winter lettuce and leeks yesterday.  Off up to the plot in the morning to put them in.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #852 on: September 17, 2015, 17:53 »
Thursday, 17th September
Dug up the maincrop potatoes, Red Rooster - planted on 30 March, fantastic harvest from them.  Some of the plants had as many as 20 good sized potatoes, with some quite large!
Also dug up the corn plants on my plot 1 and cleared that bed back to where the 3 Brussels sprouts are, leaving the "tent" over them but not over the corn bed. 
Think I will use these 2 beds for onions and garlic over winter. 
Then cleared the tomato bed (White Queen) which has been very prolific but sadly very woody centres and now gone to blight. I found them difficult to use though know son T enjoyed the basketful he had.  weeded the small bed of carrots just appearing, no sign of the onions coming up in the other small bed, maybe been too dry until the last few days, so perhaps something will happen now.

Picket a dozen or so ripe pears from my tree, very sweet and luscious though some have rotted on the tree.  Also picket a punnet of ripe tomatoes from O's greenhouse, nearly the end of these but they have done well once they started to ripen. Tomatillos - lanterns are filling out and getting hard inside so hope they come to something.

chillimummy

« Reply #853 on: September 18, 2015, 17:02 »
Dug up last of my kestrel and some of them are enormous! Dug up some maris peer too and lots of lovely white potatoes from each plant.
Two rows left to dig up now of desiree. Run out of hessian bags now as crop is much more than expected!
Cut back foliage from last of the potatoes.
In the greenhouse my tomatoes are slowly ripening. Not enough yet for freezing but have an awful lot of tomatoes so hoping for sun for few weeks.
Corn finally has tassels but unless lots of sun, will not be great crop. Last year they were all eaten by something so maybe another try next year  ;)
Picked pile of spinach and made spinach and potato soup. 

Flowertot

« Reply #854 on: September 18, 2015, 22:47 »
Weeded the leek bed, harvested some stuff  8) and gave the courgettes and beans a liquid feed in the hope they'll continue producing

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

67 Replies
Last post June 22, 2024, 20:20
by vikingraider
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 37 queries.