What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #825 on: September 03, 2015, 20:03 »
Cut haulms off last bed of potatoes, checked pumpkins and squash and started constructing a border to put along edge of 'patio' and 'lawn' in front of shed. A picture would paint a thousand words here but phone internet won't do it.

Ema

« Reply #826 on: September 05, 2015, 12:38 »
Popped down after work on Thursday, admired how everything is growing so fast again with all this rain.
Took some of my winter squashes home to try and encourage a few more to set.
Cleared up a lot of sludgy rhubarb leaves.
Renetted the PSB as it was straining its way out of the old nets, fingers crossed I did a good enough job to keep the birds out.
Hoed the weeds and slugs. sprinkled a few slug pellets where things have been attacked already.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #827 on: September 05, 2015, 14:14 »
Something is eating the tops of the sweetcorn, I suspect snails, so I scattered some pellets about, it has been a while since I gave the plot a dose.

Potted up some strawberry runners to sell at the allotment show next week.

I got some brassica plants in the post this morning, so I put them in big pots to fatten them up before they go into the ground.

Very Octoberish weather today, wasn't at all tempted to take off my jacket.
Anne

grendel

« Reply #828 on: September 05, 2015, 17:58 »
squeezed a couple of hours in the drizzle on the plot today, strimming and picking. just to get prepared for a big bash on it tomorrow.
The reason for all this activity - a cultivation notice saying it was covered in weeds - this put me in panic mode despite the fact I hade strimmed the paths just 2 weekends back. to be honest when I got there I did wonder what they were going on about - it looked ok ish (see attached picture), a few new weeds but not bad. Anyway 2 1/2 hours of strimming weeding, picking raspberries and beans later just as I was leaving the site manager flagged me down, he apologised most profusely, he had got the plot number wrong and sent the notice to me - not the plot holder of the plot he needed tidying, phew - the relief, still happy with bringing home 2 punnets of raspberries and a half bucket of french beans.
Grendel
IMG00193-20150905-1454.jpg
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #829 on: September 05, 2015, 19:13 »
Weeded the PSB bed, hoiked out the dead watermelon plant (watermelon was small but v tasty), added in some kohlrabi seedlings and scattered slug pellets generously. Yesterday's planting of beet seedlings seem to have survived so far. Then sat and had a happy haif hour podding beans for saving and dead-heading the swathes of marigolds, which is fast becoming a favourite job

Eblana

« Reply #830 on: September 05, 2015, 20:03 »
I didn't get to the plot today but I spent 6 hours in the garden and it now looks brilliant.  I will be up the plot tomorrow to do some weeding and putting supports on the Brussels sprouts and chrysanthemums.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #831 on: September 06, 2015, 16:22 »
Got a bed ready with manure, bonemeal and wood ash on top to put garlic, overwintering onions and some shallots in. Watered it well to get the worms going.

grendel

« Reply #832 on: September 06, 2015, 17:16 »
went down again today, moved the pallet seat to the new end of the plot, trimmed the brambles from the fence and did some general tidying.
Grendel

miggs

« Reply #833 on: September 06, 2015, 17:39 »
squeezed a couple of hours in the drizzle on the plot today, strimming and picking. just to get prepared for a big bash on it tomorrow.
The reason for all this activity - a cultivation notice saying it was covered in weeds - this put me in panic mode despite the fact I hade strimmed the paths just 2 weekends back. to be honest when I got there I did wonder what they were going on about - it looked ok ish (see attached picture), a few new weeds but not bad. Anyway 2 1/2 hours of strimming weeding, picking raspberries and beans later just as I was leaving the site manager flagged me down, he apologised most profusely, he had got the plot number wrong and sent the notice to me - not the plot holder of the plot he needed tidying, phew - the relief, still happy with bringing home 2 punnets of raspberries and a half bucket of french beans.
Grendel

You got a warning notice for that, looks really good to me. If you got a warning for that then the people next to me who have plot's had better watch out, compared to you they a disgrace.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 17:39 by miggs »

miggs

« Reply #834 on: September 06, 2015, 17:43 »
Nothing today as we went shopping for a few things. Yesterday though my youngest daughter and I did a couple of hours in the afternoon. She was happy digging and I was more than happy strimming the paths and giving the plot a general tidy. The leek's I planted last week are looking ok as well. The Beetroot's are almost ready as are the Sweetcorn.

skadi

« Reply #835 on: September 06, 2015, 20:15 »
Wow, what a beautiful day. I just love this time of year. I'm not a skilled gardener and my main skill lies in making nice brown patches, so today has been ideal for me: digging over a quarter of my beds and broadcasting green manure. Covered a few other cleared patches with some cardboard I had cluttering up my shed.

Other than that it's been tidying up the greenhouse, checking pumpkins, picking another load of cucumbers, saying hello to my busy worms in the wormery.

Am much too eager to begin putting things to bed, but have had an incredibly satisfying day. (Though I think I've caught the sun  :unsure: )

Flowertot

« Reply #836 on: September 06, 2015, 23:13 »
Started to tidy up for winter  :ohmy: by pulling out the finished first batch of dwarf and climbing French beans and feeding the second batch which are still going strong  :). Also pulled out the 3 squash plants (both butternuts and 1 Qld Blue) which have not set any fruit (and then died) plus the 2 Halloween pumpkin plants which have yielded only 1 pumpkin each (and then died)  :( and weeded around the remaining Qld Blue plant (1 small fruit) and the courgettes and fed them all in the hope that they may crop a little longer... Much more tidying to be done!

Aled

« Reply #837 on: September 07, 2015, 09:30 »
Weeding! Still got some runner beans, carrots and beetroot left to harvest. Then that's it for the winter.
Cheers
Aled

chillimummy

« Reply #838 on: September 07, 2015, 19:33 »
Dug up last of charlotte potatoes and a few kestrel and weeded.
Pulled up lots of soggy half eaten turnips and managed 3 whole ones to take home  :(
Pulled up a few more beetroot and plenty left.
Picked lots of spinach to get OH to make curry. Potato, spinach, garlic and chilli  :)
Path full of weeds so next visit will pull up old weed fabric and renew with fresh and bark chippings too.
Strawberry bed needs really good weeding, need long visit  :D
Picked lots of french beans and sugar snap peas. Still lots left before I cut them back.
Picked first cabbage and made coleslaw.
Weeded around generally.     
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #839 on: September 08, 2015, 20:25 »
Sown some green manure in a bed to see how it gets on. Gone for field beans, first time for everything.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.823 seconds with 37 queries.