What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

Offwego

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #435 on: April 21, 2015, 21:07 »

Quite surprising really the main crop potatoes ( sarpo Mira) are up, I could see one up in row 2 yesterday today most in the three rows are up. So I earthed up the three rows :)
I get a very proud feeling seeing my straight rows and I even use a line as a guideline  to earth up as I like things looking right
light watering to the plot in general and a quick hoeing in between rows
lastly a top dressing of potash to the rhubarb crowns planted  yesterday as well as the two other crowns.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #436 on: April 21, 2015, 21:13 »
Good seed sowing session today. Put some sweet corn to chit in airing cupboard then sowed borlotti beans, green and yellow courgettes and some butternut squash. Popped down to plot and threw some fleece over new potatoes as weather could turn chilly tonight.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Robster

« Reply #437 on: April 22, 2015, 05:23 »
Sweetcorn in root trainers has just started to show through.  they will be coming out of the incubator when they are all up.  yesterday i sowed my first courgettes.  Three varieties.  I'll make another sowing in Mid june for a latter crop when the first have mildew. it worked in last years long summer.  pumpkin (Golden Hubbard), butternut (Hunter) and  Spaghetti Squash all sowed.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #438 on: April 22, 2015, 06:52 »
Earthed up spuds, put in 150 onion sets.
Measured my sweetcorn which is growing by the hour. 2 and a half inches lol
Share out the last of the mushroom compost on plot concrete soil down the bottom.
Middle plot looks like a tent city with all the nets.

Aled

« Reply #439 on: April 22, 2015, 15:18 »
Potatoes are now in, only the tomatoes left to go!
Cheers
Aled

myplot

« Reply #440 on: April 22, 2015, 18:23 »
Cut loads of nettles and I mean loads
Started to dig out a gooseberry bush that never fruits, hate gooseberry's anyway
Bagged up a bin bag of rubbish blown on to my plot.
sowed carrots
watered beetroot and spinach seedlings

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #441 on: April 22, 2015, 18:36 »
Took a risk and planted out the peas, just hope there is no frosts. Also planted out the blades of grass that are my shallots from seed.
Organised support structures for the peas and the broad beans.
Anne

AnneB

« Reply #442 on: April 22, 2015, 18:49 »
Took a risk and planted out the peas, just hope there is no frosts. Also planted out the blades of grass that are my shallots from seed.
Organised support structures for the peas and the broad beans.

Peas are quite hardy Anne.  Provided you have hardened them off OK (assuming you are planting out pot sown ones rather than direct sowing) they will be fine, even if there is a frost now, which there will be.  Direct sown ones should be OK now that the soil has warmed up, so they won't rot.

AnneB

« Reply #443 on: April 22, 2015, 18:56 »
Allotment inspection day today.  Seemed to go well.   Intruder caught in someone's greenhouse late morning by another plotholder, same greenhouse where a trug and tray of beans stolen the day before.  He leapt over the quite high fence like a gazelle.  Police attended, they think they might know who it is. 

Went back in the afternoon, did some weeding.  Watered the peas.  Stokesley and Bullroyd pea bean now showing.  Tall varieties (pot sown) looking good.  Garlic spray seems to have warded off the pea and bean weevil so far. 

Earthed up first and second earlies that are poking through now.   Put up bean wigwams and dug over the bed where they will go.

Sowed some rocket and coriander.  I have loads of trouble getting anything from these, so hoping for the best.    At home potted on peppers and tomatoes.  Sowed mizuna and pak choi.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #444 on: April 22, 2015, 21:47 »
Called in briefly AM to open the greenhouse door and put everything out and then again at 6.30pm to water and put it all back inside!  Watered the onions and garlic and where the various seeds were sown last week, something is showing in a nice straight line but can't remember which is which.... let's wait and see.  I'm now away from Thursday very early until late on Friday so happy that the forecast is not so hot, I can leave everything in the greenhouse and check on Saturday morning. 

Eblana

« Reply #445 on: April 22, 2015, 21:58 »
Weeded onion bed, watered the plants in the PT.  Planted out 6 spare lettuce plants that I had (don't know if they will survive but they were drying out too much in the PT so fingers crossed).  Started painting the new fencing.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #446 on: April 22, 2015, 22:43 »
Weeded onion and asparagus beds. Watered newly emerging seedlings. Checked chitting sweet corn must put into root trainers tomorrow AM!

Cheers HH

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #447 on: April 23, 2015, 13:26 »
Popped up in my lunch hour and weeded the tulip bed and the onion bed quickly then just wandered round. Found the carrots, parsnips, chard and beetroot all popping up so I am a happy bunny. Picked my first handful of radish for the year and a nice big bunch of tulips for my wife  :D

miggs

« Reply #448 on: April 23, 2015, 18:58 »
Popped in for a couple of hours weeding after work. Have been busy digging it over for a while now. It's looking good at the moment. Got plenty of seeds growing in the potting shed. I will have to start sweetcorn again as the first sowing has failed.

snowdrops

« Reply #449 on: April 23, 2015, 20:01 »
Sowed parsnips & carrots
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.761 seconds with 37 queries.