What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

jambop

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #405 on: April 16, 2015, 12:10 »
Planted out my Trebons onions and 15 lettuce plants bought at the market this morning all in before 11 o'clock and then a nice shower to help them along. Had a huge pile of farmyard muck delivered free!

Aled

« Reply #406 on: April 16, 2015, 12:41 »
Rotovated a bit last night, plan to hammer it tonight, put in a little bit of lime, and plant all crops on Saturday afternoon.
Cheers
Aled

Yana

« Reply #407 on: April 16, 2015, 18:12 »
Arrived late this morning after faffing about with 'stuff'.
Anyways, did mammoth task of emptying 1.5m X 1.5m X 1.5m raised bed that had comfrey growing in it. Why so big you ask??
Well when I took this particular half plot over, the soil, level was much higher than the paths so I put four large pallets together and filled them with the soil thinking that it would be useful one day. Last year I planted comfrey in the soil and it grew amazingly well. This year I have built two new raised beds  (longer and slightly narrower but not as tall as the comfrey bed) and so need the soil to fill the new beds. I transplanted the comfrey yesterday so today's task was to empty the soil into the new beds.
Halfway through remembered I should be planting the brassicas out!!!
Never mind as I got the beds topped up with the soil and now have a lovely clear space (I will use the pallets elsewhere) for new water butts.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

AndyArch

« Reply #408 on: April 17, 2015, 08:14 »
Finished putting up the polytunnel, made sure I buried the plastic at least a foot down and covered it with soil, made a raised bed and emptied the compost from the compost bin into it.

Generally tidied up the plot ready for planting in the next week or so, will use the polytunnel to bring things on and then the tomatoes will go in towards the end of May.

jambop

« Reply #409 on: April 17, 2015, 08:42 »
Nothing today piddling down :(

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #410 on: April 17, 2015, 10:49 »
Harvested some Purple Sprouting and watered in the greenhouse, spuds in pots in the greenhouse, Casablanca, are romping away even with these cold nights!
Do you really need al that lettuce/

Yana

« Reply #411 on: April 17, 2015, 17:12 »
Planted put module sown perpetual beet and beetroot and then saw that my butt has developed a leak!!  ::)
Quick change of plan (still no brassicas planted out) and butt stand dismantled with gusto as the leak had obviously been going for sometime as the wooden pallets it was standing on had all but rotted. Never mind, meant a good clear up and put the butt in the back of the truk and brought home for the OH to fix over the weekend. Fingers crossed no rain this weekend please!!

chillimummy

« Reply #412 on: April 17, 2015, 17:49 »
Lovely 3 hours in the sun this morning, digging and weeding area where potatoes are going at weekend.
Remade a path to compost bin and dug up last of sprouts.
Plot looks quite empty at moment but not for long as planting potatoes, broad beans, peas and red onions at weekend and moving strawberries from home up to the plot. Going to use the wooden beds on legs they are in for lettuce. 
Sewed at home some pak choi and put tomatoes into bigger pots.
Got sweetcorn and  tumbling toms to sew at the weekend also so hope weather fine  ;)   
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #413 on: April 18, 2015, 18:12 »

Strimmed a bit so OH could dig up raised beds beside our greenhouse that will be our asparagus bed.

OH planted some chitted pots and did some much needed watering.
Everything spotty....

chillimummy

« Reply #414 on: April 18, 2015, 19:19 »
Moved strawberries from home to plot and transplanted some more rhubarb. Have kept 5 plants which is more than enough. Dug rest up and given some away but still plenty left  ;)
Dug over where squash are to go. Final area to dig over is where sweetcorn where last year.
This year so different as plot just needed soil turning over and bit of weeding.
No more grassy paths or trees to dig up or rubbish to move. Finally on top of everything after 3 years  ;)

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #415 on: April 18, 2015, 19:39 »
started off by doing the floor in the new shed, 100x 50mm treated timber so should last a few years
Plot 2
Then we squared up one edging timber as it was not square with the plot next door, don't know if his timbers were out or mine but I know I gained 8inches at the upper side by measuring off his timbers. ;)
Then we planted out our peas and built a netting cage around.
And my better half hoed between all rows
Plot 1
planted out some cauliflowers & Peas

went to water both plots only to find the water butts empty, not a major issue for plot 1 as the water tap is not too far away , but its a long way from plot 2, did manage to get some on it before my legs felt as if they were made of lead

luckily the site handyman was there and he has set up the hoses to fill them, he will be there until 9pm at least tonight doing them bless him as there are 6 barrels linked up so with the poor water pressure pumping the water uphill its a big job filling them.

one of my next jobs in the shed is to put up a gutter system to catch the rain water.

I hope to have another new water butt delivered tomorrow as well as two more new  compost  daleks bins as a mate owes me a favour . so if they arrive I will set them up as the ground needs a bit of levelling out where im putting them

Steveharford

« Reply #416 on: April 18, 2015, 20:14 »
Selected the best tomato plants and put the rest outside. Side shooted the cordon tomatoes, staked them with short thin bamboo cane, fed and watered them.
Was going to pot sow runner beans but the above was enough as my back is still playing up.  Take note: Get some help when lifting big Verve compost bales into car.! It  may be cheap but chiropractors ain't !

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #417 on: April 18, 2015, 22:21 »
chanced some early runner seed into the ground under fleece, I have loads so no big deal if it goes wrong.  Dug over the sweetcorn area ready and watered around.  Cut more psb which is going mad.  Weeded the strawbs which are all in flower and sprinkled calcified seaweed about them as the slugs don't like it, it should help keep them away.
Butterflies seen= 3
Slugs despatched= 40
Ladybirds=0  :(

Beekissed

« Reply #418 on: April 19, 2015, 09:15 »
First tilling of the garden, just to break up the grass/sod.  Still too wet to even be in there, so had to remove my shoes after the first pass as they were just big balls of mud.  Finished tilling barefooted and got it done...the chickens followed me all the way, eating grubs and worms like crazy.  Supposed to rain again the next several days, so was happy to even get that little bit done. 

Still waiting on wood chips for covering the tilled ground....hope to get loads of those next week for the garden and also for the orchard. 

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #419 on: April 19, 2015, 13:37 »
Lifted the last of the leeks, leaving an empty bed for the peas.
Anne

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie

Page created in 0.624 seconds with 37 queries.