Alternatives to minipop sweetcorn?

• 19 Replies

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
Alternatives to minipop sweetcorn?
« on: December 17, 2014, 22:45 »
Most years I grow a small variety of sweetcorn called minipop f1.  I absolutely love it, and it's ready way earlier than full size corn and you can eat the entire sweetcorn.  Does anyone know of any sweetcorns as small as this that are not hybrid/f1 ?  I plan to start saving as much seed as possible next year, and minipop being an f1/hybrid I cannot save the seed.  I have searched Google without any luck, I was hoping someone else might know.  Thanks  :)
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Alternatives to minipop sweetcorn?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 00:21 »
Are you wanting to save-seed, or reduce the cost of buying seed?

I suspect that Baby Corn varieties are long-season crops, and you might struggle to get them to maturity in the UK (in order to collect seed from them).  Sweetcorn is very promiscuous, so growing your own to save seed would need there to be no other sweetcorn in the vicinity - tricky on an Allotment, for example.

Moles Seeds sell 500 seeds of Minipop F1 for £5 - dunno if that is a bargain though :)

http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/flower_and_vegetable_seed_store_uk/Products_F1_Minipop_4165.html#.VJId0tKsWSo

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 00:43 »
Thanks for the reply Kristen :)

Yes I want to save my own seed, and as minipop is a hybrid f1 it's not ideal for seed saving.  The Minipop corn is ready to pick early to mid july in my area, way before other corn is ready.  I'm trying to find another variety of the same size that is not hybrid so I can save the seed myself. 

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 09:25 »
It might help if you added your area to your profile, then people nearby may be able to help you.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 09:51 »
The Minipop corn is ready to pick early to mid july in my area, way before other corn is ready.
I'm picking cob-Corn by then, or shortly after, whereas I think Mini-corn has got a long way to go from that point - it isn't even pollinated at the point you pick it, so you need Pollinate, Ripen [which would do for the Kitchen) and then Mature (which will be needed for the seed to be viable).  I'm guessing, but I wonder if a UK season is long enough for that type of corn to mature?

... they are the old-type of corn - tall plants, like forage Maize - whereas the ones bred for UK Cob-corn are very short, so that they can start producing cobs sooner and be ripe before a UK summer is over.

But its only a guess, it might be feasible to get mini-corn to mature seed in a UK summer.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:52 by Kristen »

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 11:14 »
To answer your original question for a non F1 type, DT Brown sell Snobaby (doesn't appear to be F1 but can't be sure - I've not tried it so don't know what it is like)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 11:22 »
I know this is an Australian link, but Snobaby is an F1.

http://pdffactory.triality.com.au/550c384a-fa47-4739-a7ad-d74926.pdf
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 11:24 »
There is, presumably, something special about Baby Corn which makes then different to "unripe corn cobs" - but I wonder if it is critical?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 11:28 »
I assume the big differences are that baby corn produces more cobs per plant (I wouldn't be happy with one or two mini-cobs per plant) and it doesn't need to be pollinated.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 12:31 »
I copied Sunshineband's way of growing minipop.  You cram them in a small space, cut the male flowers off as they form and then you get lots of little cobs forming over a period of time  :)

Unfortuately, harvesting time for me coincided with a bit of a family crisis, so I didn't get to the plot often enough to pick them, but I'm having another go this year, as it produced a good crop out of a small piece of ground.  Mine grew bigger than the supermarket versions, so could be cut into several pieces for stir-fries  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 12:52 »
Ask Jungle seeds if theirs are f1- it doesn't say

http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d67.html

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 18:05 »
The Minipop corn is ready to pick early to mid july in my area, way before other corn is ready.
I'm picking cob-Corn by then, or shortly after, whereas I think Mini-corn has got a long way to go from that point - it isn't even pollinated at the point you pick it, so you need Pollinate, Ripen [which would do for the Kitchen) and then Mature (which will be needed for the seed to be viable).  I'm guessing, but I wonder if a UK season is long enough for that type of corn to mature?

... they are the old-type of corn - tall plants, like forage Maize - whereas the ones bred for UK Cob-corn are very short, so that they can start producing cobs sooner and be ripe before a UK summer is over.

But its only a guess, it might be feasible to get mini-corn to mature seed in a UK summer.

Thanks again for the reply.

I must admit to overlooking the fact of how long they would take to reach maturity to save seed.  But I have saved seed from other corn of other variety in previous years without any problem so i'm just guessing it would be possible to do so.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 18:11 »
The reasons I grow these corn over other corns are:

1.  They are ready to harvest much sooner than regular corn
2.  In other years when we have had bad weather my regular corn have failed to form and been a total disaster.  Minipop has never failed me.
3.  I personally think they taste great, and as good as regular corn, if not better.
4.  You can eat the entire corn, unlike regular corn.
5.  Take up less space in the freezer

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 18:13 »
I assume the big differences are that baby corn produces more cobs per plant (I wouldn't be happy with one or two mini-cobs per plant) and it doesn't need to be pollinated.

Mine have always produced at least 4 per plant.  This is not many in itself, but when you grow 50-60 plants it gives you a nice amount :)

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 18:14 »
Ask Jungle seeds if theirs are f1- it doesn't say

http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d67.html

Thanks, I will ask them.  £1.56 for 15 seeds I hope they plant themselves too lol :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 18:18 by GrowinGrowinGone »

xx
Minipop sweetcorn

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 21:05
by Trillium
xx
Minipop Sweetcorn?

Started by aligemini on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 17:51
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Baby Sweetcorn (Minipop)

Started by Pui on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 22:24
by Pui
xx
anyone grown minipop sweetcorn?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 21:22
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 33 queries.