wilkinsons spuds

• 66 Replies

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 14:02 »
Just got back from a visit to Wilkos, with some very 1st early Rocket 3Kg, the onion sets 1Kg were new in the display, so picked some red , turbo , yellow shallot, and a small pack of pink fir apple potatoes.

Its like Christmas
Steve

David.

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 15:14 »
Quote from: "bean"
On the subject of of seed potatoes I have just read in my new RHS book that it you want to grow big potatoes you should use big seed potatoes.

For the heaviest aggregate weight of 3 potatoes class for the village show, I will (in addition to using 'large baker' type seed potatoes) find the largest baking potatoes in the shops/market/etc., and grow in a bag of compost, reduce to max 2 tubers per plant, feed + top dress with well rotted chicken poo (also good for giant marrows). Target weight is 3lb per tuber. The bakers from Asda beat T&M last year.

But I stress that as these are not certified seed potatoes, they are grown away from other potato crops.

paintedlady

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 15:31 »
Quote from: "David."
On the subject of of seed potatoes I have just read in my new RHS book that it you want to grow big potatoes you should use big seed potatoes.

For the heaviest aggregate weight of 3 potatoes class for the village show, I will (in addition to using 'large baker' type seed potatoes) find the largest baking potatoes in the shops/market/etc., and grow in a bag of compost, reduce to max 2 tubers per plant, feed + top dress with well rotted chicken poo (also good for giant marrows). Target weight is 3lb per tuber. The bakers from Asda beat T&M last year.

But I stress that as these are not certified seed potatoes, they are grown away from other potato crops.

I didn't enter any of my stuff in the local allotment and gardening show last year because I thought they'd look pathetic.  When I saw what was on display I thought - my veg look just as good as the winners!  So you have just reminded me that one of my resolutions is to enter the show this year, and you're right David - there is a "Biggest Potatoe" competition as well.  Thank you for that reminder, and the tips as well :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

littlemisssunshine

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 18:43 »
I know people say it all the time but you chaps here on the Forum are amazing.  Rob, cheers for the offer I will take you up on that if you don't mind.  I would also love a nosey at your plot from time to time as the summer progresses to compare notes if that is OK.

I have made LOADS of notes in my new allotment diary so shall let you know how I manage.  THANK YOU ALL.

The slow cooker looks good.  Mine has a solid top and can cook over 9 hours.  it keeps food warm if you are not back in 9 hours.  Put it on at 7am this morning as I set off for work.  Just finished the stew now - delicious  :D
Cheers LMS. xx

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 21:46 »
On the subject of of seed potatoes I have just read in my new RHS book that it you want to grow big potatoes you should use big seed potatoes. The use of small ones is because commerical growers get the best yield per weight of seed potatoes.

I have always assumed that as all seed potatoes seem to be small that this was preferable.

It is also strongly related to variety and planting space, the further apart the larger the potatoes

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 21:48 »
Hi Painted Lady, which allotment site in Nottingham are you on, i did not know there was a local show.  Is this for your allotment only or a regional show?

Cawdor

Rob the rake

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 08:57 »
Quote from: "littlemisssunshine"
I know people say it all the time but you chaps here on the Forum are amazing.  Rob, cheers for the offer I will take you up on that if you don't mind.  I would also love a nosey at your plot from time to time as the summer progresses to compare notes if that is OK.

No problem. :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

paintedlady

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 09:19 »
Quote from: "cawdor2001"
Hi Painted Lady, which allotment site in Nottingham are you on, i did not know there was a local show.  Is this for your allotment only or a regional show?

Cawdor

Hi Cawdor,
I'm at the Albany site in Stapleford.  The show is usually for the allotment sites around Stapleford, but also includes best gardens etc for those who live in Stapleford and enter.  It's only a small show, of different produce (there are rules of min/max size and quantity) on trestle tables, flowers and arrangements, the mixed box (I thought those were interesting because it was more about selection and variety), the biggest potatoe (!), and of course the winners of the best plots of all the Stapleford sites.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2008, 09:25 »
whats with all these allotment shops??? Ours has nothing...

gobs

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2008, 09:38 »
Ask around, SG. We have about 34 sites in and around town. The two largest ones have a shop each.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

moggy

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chilliupnorth.co.uk/
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 14:57 »
i just got some pink fir, kestrel and another variety which i have completely forgotten the name of from wilkinsons, ill hopefully get chance to pop to the allotment shop tomorrow to see what they have.
It's Chilli up North.

littlemisssunshine

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2008, 15:40 »
Moggy, see you at the allotment shop tomorrow, I am also going for a look around.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2008, 21:14 »
Painted Lady that sounds like a bit of a laugh actually, i don't think we have anything like that.  I am at the Wilford Lane allotments in W Bridgford.

Cawdor

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2008, 08:57 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Ask around, SG. We have about 34 sites in and around town. The two largest ones have a shop each.

I don't think any of the lottie sites in Boro have a shop :(

moggy

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chilliupnorth.co.uk/
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2008, 10:11 »
come for a day out to the seaside then SG  :wink:

xx
wilkinsons

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 18:56
by SG6
xx
Wilkinsons seeds

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2012, 22:13
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Wilkinsons Onion Sets..

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 12, 2011, 09:19
by bigben
xx
Onion sets in Wilkinsons.

Started by SG6 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 19:45
by plum crumble

Page created in 0.722 seconds with 28 queries.