wilkinsons spuds

• 66 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 17:33 »
Quote from: "splodger"
i had you down as the frugal type dd  :wink:

That was frugal - Mrs DD's card!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

splodger

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 17:36 »
oh dear - your gonna be in trouble  :lol:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 17:46 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"
I bought Charlotte & Kestrel from Wilkos (10 in each bag) and I was quite pleased with the results.  Didn't get many Kestrel but the ones I dug up were absolute monsters!  But I think last year's wet summer had something to do with that ...

I had Charlottes from wilkos last year and they were superb.. all this talk of seeds/spuds/onions got me wanting to leave work early to buys some.

So I did!!!!! 4 bags of charlottes, 3 bags of shallots, about 300-400 onions, peas/beans....

littlemisssunshine

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 21:33 »
Hi Folks

As many of you know I am new to all this!  I have a large area cleared on my plot now and fancy plenty of spuds.  A neighbouring gardener said they would help with problem weeds as the area will be well dug.  I have some varieties from this thread to think about.  Am I right in thinking a bright, cool windowsill for chitting.  Can I use my unheated greenhouse?

Also, how many seed potatoes do I need - there is only my husband and me but I would like a few extras as gifts to people who have donated bits and bobs to my plot.

I popped to Wilkos and they had none, are they only in shops for a short period?  Do I need to be actively hunting for some urgently so I don't miss the boat?

Sorry to be a pest :)

splodger

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 21:50 »
Quote from: "littlemisssunshine"
Hi Folks

As many of you know I am new to all this!  I have a large area cleared on my plot now and fancy plenty of spuds.  A neighbouring gardener said they would help with problem weeds as the area will be well dug.  I have some varieties from this thread to think about.  Am I right in thinking a bright, cool windowsill for chitting.  Can I use my unheated greenhouse?

Also, how many seed potatoes do I need - there is only my husband and me but I would like a few extras as gifts to people who have donated bits and bobs to my plot.

I popped to Wilkos and they had none, are they only in shops for a short period?  Do I need to be actively hunting for some urgently so I don't miss the boat?

Sorry to be a pest :)

no panic with timing - many garden centre haven't received their seeds yet

some varieties are better than others for supressing weeds - but don't worry about that

grow your spuds for taste and use - if you like baked taters - don't grow earlies  :wink:

why don't you make a list of what you use your tatties for - and how often you have them - then you can come back on here and ask us - how many seed spuds you'll need to meet your requirements  :wink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 22:03 »
 Can I use my unheated greenhouse?

I use the greenhouse, but have just enough heat to keep the frost off as I've got some cacti.

They'll be OK in there as long as you keep the frost out.

littlemisssunshine

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 22:04 »
Cheers Sploger, I love salad spuds, mashed, roasted. Don't eat chips these days but boiled/steamed can be nice.  I quite like little ones that you cook with skins on and melt in your mouth.  I also love my slow cooker, so ones that hold together in stews or on top of panacalty would be good.  We would probably get through 1 small supermarket bag a week (2kg ish) is that helps?  I've been collected paper sacks for storage :)

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 22:33 »
Aidy, exactly what does your potato clamp consist of?

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

splodger

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 22:41 »
Cheers Sploger, I love salad spuds, mashed, roasted. Don't eat chips these days but boiled/steamed can be nice.  I quite like little ones that you cook with skins on and melt in your mouth.  I also love my slow cooker, so ones that hold together in stews or on top of panacalty would be good.  We would probably get through 1 small supermarket bag a week (2kg ish) is that helps?  I've been collected paper sacks for storage :)

right then - i shall start with the more obvious ones - and give others to add their bit for you lms  :lol:

if you like salad spuds i would suggest either duke of york or charlotte - they both have great taste and hold texture - they are not fluffy  :wink:

for a good all rounder - you can't go far wrong with either kestrel or marfona - good boiled, roasted, smashed, baked - you want it - they will do it - you can dig them early and have almost news - or leave them in the ground - and they will be whoppers

these are not fancy spuds - they are good tasting - easy to grow - with good yield spuds

i grew all of these varieties last year - and despite the conditions - i had a fantastic yield - even with blight on the lottie site  :wink:

i just dug them up before they got ruined - it really is that easy  :wink:

as an example - i would say that each seed spud of the early / salad spuds produce 25 - 30 tubers just about larger than big egg size (both charlotte and duke of york are a bit elongated  in shape :wink:

i use on average 5 main crop spuds a day - i live on my own - but love me tatties - i grew 5 x 1o ft rows of main crop spuds (eight plants per row) - so thats 40 main crop seeds - i have given mountains away - and still have enough spuds in store for at least another month  :wink:

i did however grow spuds for Christmas - but i gave most of those away as well  :wink:

i'm sure a few more opinions will follow shortly  :wink:

sweet nasturtium

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 22:50 »
Talking of slow cookers littlemiss, I saw one in Tesco's today for £17.50 -
any good?

here:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999571$4294952012/Nr.99.aspx

And in response to your question on how many seeds to use, here is a thread from a few weeks ago:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=9973&start=15

sparky

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 00:02 »
Quote from: "Aidy"

Dont think it was a good year for spuds but my pent jav did produce well, clamped them up and we are still eating them.

What's clamped Aidy? :?

Rob the rake

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 00:53 »
Quote from: "moggy"
ill pop to wilkos at the weekend and get some, hopefully they will have some left...they should do mind you as they were stocking the shelves with them last week.

whats the best way to keep them once purchased?

Get yourself to the Marske allotment shop. It's next to the railway station at the Saltburn end, if you know what I mean.
Open on Sunday mornings, 10 till 12, they have a great range of spuds, (and everything else) and are very cheap for most things.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Rob the rake

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 01:02 »

I can pop up to your lottie nearer planting time and give you some tips, if you'd like me to. You're only a few miles away.

moggy

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chilliupnorth.co.uk/
wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 08:53 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"

Get yourself to the Marske allotment shop. It's next to the railway station at the Saltburn end, if you know what I mean.
Open on Sunday mornings, 10 till 12, they have a great range of spuds, (and everything else) and are very cheap for most things.

cheers for that rob i know exactly where you mean, not far from my house either as im at the marske end of redcar, ill have a wander down there on sunday morning and see what they have!!
It's Chilli up North.

bean

wilkinsons spuds
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 13:04 »
On the subject of of seed potatoes I have just read in my new RHS book that it you want to grow big potatoes you should use big seed potatoes. The use of small ones is because commerical growers get the best yield per weight of seed potatoes.

I have always assumed that as all seed potatoes seem to be small that this was preferable.

xx
wilkinsons

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 18:56
by SG6
xx
Wilkinsons seeds

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2012, 22:13
by GrannieAnnie
question
Red onion sets @wilkinsons

Started by kegonlegs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 19:48
by DD.
xx
Wilkinsons friut trees

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 23:08
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 37 queries.