Just signed up for an allotment, but need some advice please

• 11 Replies

Kate_S

Hello,

after waiting several years we have now been given an allotment from the council. It is in good condition with 4 raised beds. We hope to start clearing and tidying this weekend. There are some cherry tomatoes that are now past their best, some courgettes left to pick as well as some strawberries. Can i just pull up the old tomato plants now? What shall I do with the courgette plants when they have all been picked? Shall i dig them up as well? I think i can cut back the strawberries? Also, what types of onions are best planted now, and can anyone suggest some other stuff to plant after I have prepared the beds? :unsure:  We are new to all of this but overjoyed to be given this opportunity. :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Just signed up for an allotment, but need some advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 20:17 »
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new lotty  :)

I'll move this post over to the GYO forum for the veggie people to have a look at.

Feel free to pop back into Welcome to introduce yourself and for a proper welcome  :D  it would also be useful if you put your general location into your forum profile so we know whereabouts you are (sometimes it's relevant to questions asked).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 22:23 »
Welcome to the site and good luck with the plot.
Take a deep breath
Co.post bin. Have you got one? If so put your spent plants in the bin. If not make a compost pile and work out how you are going to compost. Tomato plants - if they look brown and 'ill' then bag them up and take them away as they should not be completed as they are diseased.
You have taken on at a great time. Think about what u want to grow. Clear weeds. Research. Have fun.

Cheers,
Balders

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 23:05 »
If the courgette plants aren't in your immediate way I'd leave them until the frost kills them - they will probably carry on cropping until then and give you a few more, for free.

You need Japanese Onions to plant now - I think "Electric" is the most common variety.  You need to plant Sets (they look like little baby onions / shallots) rather than growing from seed [at this time]

You can plant Garlic shortly too.  My preference would be to get some certified garlic bulbs, rather than just using some from the supermarket (which might be Mediterranean types, unsuited to planting in the UK).  Certified bulbs aren't cheap, but provided they don't have disease next year you can then re-plant your own from your harvest. You split the bulbs into cloves, and plant each clove separately, and they will form bulbs next year.

I would just leave the Strawberries be; but see what other folk suggest on that one.

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 07:31 »
Hi Kate

Welcome, When I started I bought two of Johns books directly and got packs of seeds with them both which were worth as much if not more than the cost of the books at RRP.

His books are really useful and good winter reading that help with planning what you are going to grow and help you plan. There is one that gives you advice month by month and you can also find extracts on this forum

Check out http://www.allotment-garden.org/  Home page article

You also realise that the forbidden time of year is coming and having an allotment means that family and friends can get ideas for presents. I got a wheelbarrow for my Birthday first year I had the allotment  :nowink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 07:40 »
Regarding the onions, I'd be inclined as you're just starting to go for a white variety, such as Senshyu, rather than the red variety "Electric" that Kristen suggested. The red varieties tend to "bolt", that is run to seed, more easily than the white ones, something you don't want to have to worry about when you're just starting out.

Also, don't grow too many of them. They are not the greatest for storing and are more intended as as a stop gap until those you plant in the spring are ready later next year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 07:49 »
I'd be inclined as you're just starting to go for a white variety, such as Senshyu

I'd forgotten about Senshyu, much better idea :)

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 10:30 »
Do not be in too much of a hurry to do anything. Spend some time getting the infrastructure as you want it rather than putting up with what you have inherited, e.g. paths, compost bins, raised beds. You will soon develop a habit of spotting useful things for your plot, other peoples junk is the plot holders gold. Scrap wood, slabs, containers etc. A big enough compost bin is invaluable - you never have to think about how to dispose of dead plants.

Kate_S

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 17:19 »
thanks everyone for the very helpful advice so far, I will be back no doubt soon. :D

Snoop

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 19:30 »
Don't forget that a bit later on this year you'll be able to sow broad beans and perhaps, given your location, some peas suitable for overwintering such as Douce Provence. I spent a while living in Lewisham and I don't remember there ever being a frost.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 20:48 »
Keep the courgettes until they stop producing or die off.

The strawbs should be sending out runners - you can leave them where there are, OR if you place a small pot of compost under a runner which is sprouting, they will automatically root into whatever is there.
Once they have taken and grown on a little, you can cut the long stem and keep the new strawberry plants in a greenhouse or cold frame over winter with minimal care and replant next year where you want them ;) :)

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 11:07 »
You could probably also sow spinach, radishes, raddicchio, overwintering lettuce and maybe some lamb's lettuce if you've got really itchy fingers and some space sorted.

Cadalot's advice about John's book is good.

Hope you're having fun.

xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
i have just signed for my plot

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 13:12
by new_2_veg
xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
First Allotment - Any Advice

Started by Sparkyweb on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 08, 2022, 17:21
by Sparkyweb

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 28 queries.