Utility birds for the table

• 41 Replies

archiesgems

Re: Utility birds for the table
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 16:58 »
its always a very important thing to learn for any poultry keeper, its one of the worst things to have to learn but sometimes very nessersary

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 17:12 »
Sorry I am probably going off topic, but we have watched a friend do his (and ducks too) and just did the plucking bit etc (which if I say so myself I am quite good at specially the cleaning out bit... small hands!).  It wasn't too traumatic but the thought of doing our own is a bit daunting.  I understand from other friends who have meat birds that once you have done a few it becomes easier (like everything really).  Thankfully there are quite a few courses run down here for that sort of thing.

archiesgems

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 17:15 »
its always worth going on a course they don't last long and at least you go away from it with the knowhow and you know that your birds won't suffer. the one that we do is only 2 hours long and free, and there are breeders all over the country that do the same thing.

Rubellite

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 22:01 »
So we are clear then,  :)

Layers need layers pellets.

Table birds can have just corn BUT will need extra supplements, this will produce slower growing but potentially tastier birds

OR they can have growers/finishers pellets which will bring them to slaughter weight quicker with potentially less fat on them.

Phew!

Sorry, but my girls don't need layers pellets to lay. I feed a mix of grain and seed, greens, and they scratch on grass etc. I don't like commercially prepared feed. I like my girls to provide me with eggs so that I know what they have been fed on and consequently what goes in to the egg. Would you eat pot noodles every day for instance. They may be a "complete" food but full of chemicals and preservatives?? We have been brainwashed by the pet food manufacturers to think that their products are better than nature, surely not? Nature does it better every time in my opinion :tongue2:

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 22:47 »
I also give mixed grain to my birds[pets , not for the table]. I know they prefer it. I suppose its easier for big commercial places to use it, but its not for me and mine[or the sparrows :tongue2:]
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 22:59 »
Birds for the table should be fed chicken growers pellets or finisher pellets.  Speak to your local feed merchant or look on-line at places like BOCM pauls or Allen and Page.  The corn/wheat will add fat more than meat weight.

Can I just mention that if you feed your table birds pellets, give them growers/rearer pellets then for the last week finisher pellets as a lot of growers pellets have acs in them, whereas the finisher pellets are just plain pellets fed for the last 7 days to get any antibiotics in the feed out of the birds system before you kill it! 

We feed ours on pellets with a bit of corn as a treat like the other girls and yes we keep them separate as apart from the fact that you don't want them eating food with acs in it at the end, the table birds may eat more than their share and the poor old layers could miss out!!!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 00:35 »
Would you eat pot noodles every day for instance. They may be a "complete" food but full of chemicals and preservatives
Who, in their right mind, would consider Pot Noodles a "complete" food?  :ohmy:
Cheese makes everything better.

Rubellite

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 08:39 »
Would you eat pot noodles every day for instance. They may be a "complete" food but full of chemicals and preservatives
Who, in their right mind, would consider Pot Noodles a "complete" food?  :ohmy:

:lol: Ok, not a good example, but think of the "diet" shakes for goodness sake. Why not forsake gluttony and eat good fresh food instead of junk, then you wouldn't have as much obesity. That's really what I mean  :tongue2: Common sense for the most part.
Why are we growng our own etc? So we know where the food is comimg from, reducing pesticides and herbicides. Same thing with feeding our chickens as I see it.
I'll go away now. See someone always sets me off................I've jumped off my soapbox now and I'm going to give the chooks some greens :D ...and the dogs some bones!!

Sassy

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 08:59 »
At what age do you kill your Light Sussex Sassy?

I was advised to kill them at 12 weeks. Someone else told me about 16 weeks. I have also noticed Foxy's post below yours saying her neighbour does them at 20 weeks. So the short answer is I don't know. Any advice gratefully recvd. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 09:10 »
So we are clear then,  :)

Layers need layers pellets.

Sorry, but my girls don't need layers pellets to lay. I feed a mix of grain and seed, greens, and they scratch on grass etc. I don't like commercially prepared feed. I like my girls to provide me with eggs so that I know what they have been fed on and consequently what goes in to the egg. Would you eat pot noodles every day for instance. They may be a "complete" food but full of chemicals and preservatives?? We have been brainwashed by the pet food manufacturers to think that their products are better than nature, surely not? Nature does it better every time in my opinion :tongue2:

I was speaking generally, I know some people don't use layers pellets but was just using it as an example to differentiate between what different birds need.
I use 'natural layers pellets' and mine have 1/2 an acre to free range plus get mixed corn as treats as well as more greens etc.  We all need variety in our diets.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:14 by SMD66 »
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Sassy

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 09:11 »

I usually cull at 22 weeks we do light sussex and this year we are doing naked necks, the nakeds are on pellets and the sussex are all corn fed, tyhere is a marked difference in the size the corn feds have alot more breast on them.

I should have read the rest of the thread. I will cull at about 22 weeks then. What's good enough for Archiesgems is good enough for me. i am trying not to get too attached though and now I have to keep them for a lot longer than I thought. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Will also start to give mixed corn as a treat

Also agree re post that they should be kept very well even though they are for meat. It's a shame that we even feel the need to have to mention it :( :(

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 12:56 »
Right, think I understand it all now.  Layers eat layers pellets and table birds eat tables.  Sorted. :lol:

xx
Table Birds

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 00:16
by Caralou
xx
What are the best birds for the table?

Started by min200 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 16:51
by noshed
xx
Best table birds????

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 08:49
by Sassy
xx
Table Birds

Started by Fredjones on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 11, 2009, 10:28
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.584 seconds with 28 queries.