Pruning gooseberries and blackberries

• 4 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Pruning gooseberries and blackberries
« on: August 26, 2014, 20:53 »
I've been reading about pruning my gooseberry bushes and am now worried I should I have done a little more to them....

They were planted in Dec 2013 as 2 year old bare root plants. The RHS site says to prune back to 5 main stems in the spring after first planting - so should I have done this in spring of this year when they were a few months old or wait until spring 2015 when they would have had a 'season'? If I should have done it this year I guess I just go onto the bit where it says 'second year and beyond' where you are mean to to do a summer prune (oops) and a winter prune?

Arrgh so confusing......

Also, does anyone know what to do with wild blackberries? I am cultivating one that appeared amongst the weed jungle on the plot and it has grown lots this year. Should I do much to it or leave it to do its thing as in the 'wild'?

solway cropper

Re: Pruning gooseberries and blackberries
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 22:15 »
I never summer prune my gooseberries, only do the winter cut. My two gave me just over 4kg this year which is enough for our needs. Try to keep an open shape to the bushes to allow air circulation and make picking easier.

I'm pretty sure you'd get a better crop of blackberries if you trained the plant. We have masses of wild ones round here so it's pointless growing them in the garden.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 17:47 »
I will be training it along some wire tied between 2 nearby scaffolding poles I found concreted in  :wacko: but rid t know if I needed to prune etc or just gently guide?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 19:17 »
I will be training it along some wire tied between 2 nearby scaffolding poles I found concreted in  :wacko: but rid t know if I needed to prune etc or just gently guide?

The new unfruited growth is for next year's crop and what has fruit on now will die back. I usually cut these stems out once all the fruit is picked, cutting them right down to the ground. The new ones are then tied up on the wire framework on poles we have along the boundary.

I give them some sulphate of potash as a feed around February.

Hope that helps  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 21:57 »

The new unfruited growth is for next year's crop and what has fruit on now will die back. I usually cut these stems out once all the fruit is picked, cutting them right down to the ground. The new ones are then tied up on the wire framework on poles we have along the boundary.

I give them some sulphate of potash as a feed around February.

Hope that helps  :D

Very clear! Thanks

xx
Pruning Gooseberries

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 16, 2010, 08:00
by Pip Judgeford
xx
Pruning Gooseberries

Started by Mr B on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 02:03
by barney rubble
xx
summer pruning gooseberries?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 19:01
by sunshineband
xx
best advice on pruning gooseberries please

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 16:52
by alfalfa

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 36 queries.