Pruning Gooseberries

• 5 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Pruning Gooseberries
« on: October 12, 2010, 18:45 »
Is it ok to prune my goosegogs now?

They were moved from my Mums plot about 2 years ago and have settled in really well and fruited like mad this year. The are at the top end of my plot that doesn't get sun all day.

How hard should I prune them and should I be aiming to take all the lower stems away to keep them clear of the ground?
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Pruning Gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 19:13 »
My goosegogs are sadly neglected ... but if I had ever pruned them I'd have used the RHS advice   :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

MoreWhisky

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 19:55 »
I pruned mine last week.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

SG6

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 20:44 »
Don't get too heavy handed as goosberries fruit on old wood. So if you prune heavily then you will have removed the old wood and will have to wait a year for fruit.

Think they say remove dead, diseased wood and in my case any that stab me in the hand (revenge). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also make the bush reasonably open to aid air flow to minimise infection by moulds etc.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 14:36 »
Thanks for the replies.... I'll get pruning asap and I'll try not to be too heavy handed.

My Uncle pruned an apple tree for mum when I was young... we came home to find a tree trunk and no branches!!!!  :ohmy:

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 08:00 »
Over the past few winters I was taking lots of cuttings of my gooseberries to give to friends, and realised that I was taking off all the last years wood that was the fruiting wood, so less fruit :(  Now that I've twigged that what you have at autumn is what they fruit on, I now summer prune for shape ie just after harvest.  The bush can grow more in the right places before winter, and has lots of fruiting wood  :D :D.

The other thing I apply is the " if its climbing up, prune it down: if it wants to grow down, prune it up" rule.  This has been great: all my cascading bushes that have a tendency to put their elbow in the dirt and root are all pruned to upward facing buds.  All my heading for the sky and wont fit in the berry cage soon bushes are pruned to outward-facing baud to open the bush for picking and keep the height under control.  Sp easy picking of productive bushes :D :D :D

Pip

xx
Pruning Gooseberries

Started by Mr B on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 02:03
by barney rubble
xx
Pruning gooseberries and blackberries

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 21:57
by RJR_38
xx
summer pruning gooseberries?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 19:01
by sunshineband
xx
best advice on pruning gooseberries please

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 16:52
by alfalfa

Page created in 0.856 seconds with 30 queries.