onions and storing

• 14 Replies

hanssg

onions and storing
« on: August 04, 2014, 22:24 »
hi just lifted my onions best crop ever not one single onion gone to seed out of 200 sets  :) but how does everyone on here store them.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Re: onions and storing
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 22:33 »
Hessian Sack somewhere light. Supposedly also needs to be cool, but I struggle with that anywhere in this house at this time of year. Apparently if you put them somewhere dark they are more likely to sprout.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Spr0ut

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 22:41 »
Once the tops fall over, I pull them up, take them home and let them bask on wire trays for a few days under glass frames if it is likely to rain, otherwise hopefully under a hot sun to dry off the outer sheaths.

Then into the cool garage on the wire trays and use the softer ones and any damaged ones first.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 22:47 »
terrible year this year with white rot (basically knackered for years now :( ) anyway in the past I have just tied in bunches and hung via nails from the garage "ceiling" always dried out nicely and lasted months

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 00:00 »
Do dry them for as long as possible before storing. Mine stay on wire racks in the greenhouse for at least a month before going int  onion sacks which I got from the local market.

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 13:01 »
I dry mine out for two or three weeks, then pile them into stacking plastic boxes and keep them in the basement. It's cool and dark most of the time. The last ones sprout, but not till around April.

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 13:06 »
I put mine in the sauna because I don't use it. Then after some weeks I just store them in an Ikea bag left open. It seems to work, but maybe I just got lucky.

(sauna is pretty standard in a finnish house).

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 16:15 »
It occurs to me that the whole business about onions rotting and sprouting in storage might be partly to do with the type of onion. I grow three types of onions plus shallots. The onions are:

Fuentes: very sweet when young and very moist. Fantastic for salads and onion tart when younger but 'heat' up as they age. They don't store well and will start to lose their firmness by late October.
Figueres: a flattish, pinkish onion. Very sweet. Reasonable storers and very good for cooking with. Will start to use once the Fuentes are finished or for particular dishes.
Recas: growing these for the first time this year but I know the type. Very firm and quite dry, so not brilliant for cooking with, but excellent for storing.

What kind of onions have you grown, hanssg?

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 17:02 »
Do dry them for as long as possible before storing. Mine stay on wire racks in the greenhouse for at least a month before going int  onion sacks which I got from the local market.

I do the same - hang them up in the greenhouse for several weeks until they are completely dry, then tie them in bunches and hang up in the garage for the winter.  I do tend to get some neck rot but not generally.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 17:16 »
I lay mine out on the greenhouse shelves and then they are put in stacking plastic trays in the garage where it is quite cool and dark. I've had no problems thus far.

m1ckz

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 18:26 »
i tye mine in bunches an hang them uo in the garage     once dry

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 19:26 »
I read that they are better drying off with the tails down so I've used a garden chair and they are out in the Sun

I had a lot more, but with family and friends that's all that's left
2014-08-04 (02) Onion Drying Chair.jpg
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 19:27 by cadalot »

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 21:47 »
I kept mine in cardboard fruit boxes after drying last year then stuck them in the cupboard under the stairs. I still have one or two left so can't have done too badly :)

hanssg

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 21:57 »
SNOOPi have grown turbo and sturon but dont go of the names the turbo nowhere near as big as sturon :D only able to leave them out one day as it chucked it down tied up now in bunches in the shed.

Snoop

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 08:44 »
SNOOPi have grown turbo and sturon but dont go of the names the turbo nowhere near as big as sturon :D only able to leave them out one day as it chucked it down tied up now in bunches in the shed.

Are they fully dry (like paper close to the neck)? I'd be interested to hear what other people do. I always keep my loose rather than in bunches, but I'd be a bit nervous of tying them in bunches if they weren't absolutely dry.

xx
Storing onions ???

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 11:45
by Chappers
xx
Onions for storing

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 19, 2012, 14:33
by AlistairMcLennan
xx
Storing Spring Onions

Started by beestie-crawlies on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 21:16
by Yorkie
xx
storing onions and garlic

Started by darcyhen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 10:47
by goose

Page created in 2.538 seconds with 31 queries.