Pinching out tomatoes

• 6 Replies

timdunn

Pinching out tomatoes
« on: July 23, 2014, 00:53 »
Hello,

Just wondering when folk pinch out the tips of their toms. I still have loads of growing height left in my greenhouse but have 5/6 trusses per plant. Is now a good time or can I risk a few more trusses? I was thinking of letting more foliage grow but pinching out all new trusses.

Thanks!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: Pinching out tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:45 »
I would think that you can let them go as tall as you have room for.  But you might find the later fruits might not have time to ripen or get big enough.
I have a very low roof so I grow 2 to3 stalks on each one and nip them at 3 trusses.

Anne

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:05 »
Because you live in Scotland I would suggest that you stop them tomatoes now at six trusses - I do the same here in Northern Ireland.  :)

timdunn

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:13 »
Yes, you're probably right (and I'm even further north). I'm probably getting too used to these warm summer days ;) !

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:31 »
Yes, you're probably right (and I'm even further north). I'm probably getting too used to these warm summer days ;) !

We all are!! I really regret not growing sweetcorn this year but after rubbish weather for a few years I decided it was not worth it this year - oh for a crystal ball.

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:09 »
It depends if you like green tomato chutney, I do and so don't bother stopping mine at all. When it gets cold and they stop growing, I just use the remainder for chutney. Having said that, there's never a great deal of green ones left over, so I don't think you're saving much by pinching out. That said, I grow sungold, but imagine that for the bigger fruited varieties stopping is probably a good idea, especially the beefsteak type.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 20:53 »
Because you live in Scotland I would suggest that you stop them tomatoes now at six trusses - I do the same here in Northern Ireland.  :)

I live in Scotland too and we are having gorgeous weather, however I have been growing toms in my greenhouse for years and I pinch out the tops when I have 5 trusses cos once the days become shorter and cooler any more tomatoes just won't ripen.  I find I get plenty - enough for several jars of green tomato chutney, some tomato sauces and passata and loads to eat fresh too - mind you I do grown around 20 plants  :D

xx
Pinching out tomatoes

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 19:32
by mumofstig
xx
pinching out tomatoes

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 09:40
by mumofstig
xx
Pinching out tomatoes

Started by gawk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 16:17
by Roll Roll
xx
Tomatoes - pinching out, pruning, etc.

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 16:53
by zestymordant

Page created in 0.708 seconds with 28 queries.