Tomatoes - pinching out, pruning, etc.

• 10 Replies

zestymordant

Tomatoes - pinching out, pruning, etc.
« on: August 05, 2012, 13:57 »
Hi,

I've been told to do a few things to my tomato plants - take off the lower stems, pinch out new stems growing between the main stem and another stem, and snap the top off to stop upward growth - all so the plant concentrates on producing fruit.

This still leaves me with a lot of branches that aren't doing much. Is it overkill to go taking off all the branches that don't produce any fruit? if so, why?

Kleftiwallah

Re: Tomatoes - pinching out, pruning, etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 15:26 »

"This still leaves me with a lot of branches that aren't doing much".

What makes you think they aren't 'doing much'?  They are still doing their work converting the sun's rays into sugars which are stored in the fruits.

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

zestymordant

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 12:43 »
Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 13:11 »
You can remove leaves from below the bottom fruit truss, as that truss ripens and gets picked take the leaves off up to the next truss, and so on. That'll let some air circulate and hopefully stop any moulds starting ;)

zestymordant

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 13:59 »
Thanks mumofstig

What if there are tons of branches of leaves and only a truss way at the top? i take it it's not a good idea to remove all the leaves below it in that instance.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 14:19 »
what variety did you grow? and any chance of a photo?

It sounds as if you are growing bush types, rather than cordons  :unsure:

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 14:48 »
Thanks mumofstig

What if there are tons of branches of leaves and only a truss way at the top? i take it it's not a good idea to remove all the leaves below it in that instance.
My toms in the poly tunnel are exactly the same they have gone mad, i wouldnt call them a plant but a tree they are so tall i would guess over near 6ft. I have 4-5 trusses but they are all way up the top.... regarding type of plant  Mine are certainly a cordon, sungold maybe? My beef tomatoes have the smallest plant of them all and the only other type i'm doing is moneymaker which i think is outside and doesnt from experience get that big

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 16:58 »
My toms in the poly tunnel are exactly the same they have gone mad, i wouldnt call them a plant but a tree they are so tall i would guess over near 6ft. I have 4-5 trusses but they are all way up the top.... regarding type of plant  Mine are certainly a cordon, sungold maybe? My beef tomatoes have the smallest plant of them all and the only other type i'm doing is moneymaker which i think is outside and doesnt from experience get that big

If it's a cordon tom with normal trusses but nearer the top than the bottom, than this is due to the lack of good light earlier in the year. A few of us have commented about this in the last few weeks.

I'm just not sure what sort of toms zestymordant is growing - as he mentions
tons of branches of leaves
  :unsure:

jhub

• jane
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 19:37 »
Really helpful advice, thank you.

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 10:01 »

If it's a cordon tom with normal trusses but nearer the top than the bottom, than this is due to the lack of good light earlier in the year. A few of us have commented about this in the last few weeks.

I'm just not sure what sort of toms zestymordant is growing - as he mentions
tons of branches of leaves
  :unsure:
yeah double checked the label when home last night and it gardeners delight so a cordon, the comment about the lack of light early on will be it, my polytunnel is half shaded by nextdoors big conifer and this is the first time i have had some of my toms on this side of the tunnel, add in the over cast weather and that would be why, makes total sense when you think about it, they were searching for the light, will take note for next year!! ;) :D

zestymordant

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 16:53 »
Re: the type of toms

Some are Shirley F Hybrid

The others a bloke at the allotments gave me

xx
pinching out tomatoes

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 09:40
by mumofstig
xx
Pinching out tomatoes

Started by timdunn on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 20:53
by Lesleyk
xx
Pinching out tomatoes

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 19:32
by mumofstig
xx
Pinching out tomatoes

Started by gawk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 16:17
by Roll Roll

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 38 queries.