Harvesting onions

• 7 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Harvesting onions
« on: July 16, 2014, 20:01 »
I planted my sets as usual in March and am now wondering whether or not to harvest them, even though they haven't fallen over or started to go yellow.

The onions (Sturon, Red Baron, Snowball and Stuttgart) are at about full size and what's causing me to think about harvesting them before the leaves start to fade is that some of them are starting to burst out of their skins (probably too much Growmore plus excellent growing conditions).

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

beesrus

Re: Harvesting onions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 20:45 »
I was just thinking the same with my Stugarter giants. Some are huge and looking more suited to the show bench at Widdecombe Fair. I've pulled onions before in previous years when they weren't quite done and seem to remember they stored decently.
I think I'll be pulling and drying the biggest half and leaving the rest to go full term, but I'm no onion expert. Have just this moment enjoyed an interview with a Scotish onion farmer on Radio 4 Extra. Fascinating. 100 tons this year.

andy dewar

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 23:26 »
Hi i pulled all mine up today really good crop this year  :D a friend advised that i bend over the stems a couple of weeks ago as some were starting to bolt on our site so i did this and im sure this has helped cheers Andy

louiseyoungs

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 15:26 »
When I pull onions do I need to put them under glass?
I had a small folding shower door of glass but gave it back to the chicken man when we were deconstructing sheds so now I have no glass. I do have some polycarb kicking about though...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 17:37 »
I have two old slatted wooden tables outside and just spread the onions out on them until the leaves have withered and turned brown, usually about two or three weeks, and then store them in a couple of old 3-tiered veg racks in a dry shed. We are still using last summer's crop

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 17:52 »
I wouldn't dry them under glass or even polycarbonate: you're liable to cook them!

MalcW

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 10:18 »
As I understand it, they need to be dried for storage - is that right?

So, some more newbie questions:

When should I pull them up to start the drying process?
How do I know when they're dried enough?

I assume that if I want to use one now I can just pull it and use it? If I did so, how long would it keep in the fridge?

Thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 18:17 »
Yes you can pick them green.  I'd have thought they'd keep for a week or more in the fridge.

They're ready to harvest when the leaves have fallen over and gone brown.  Ease them out of the soil a little, let them dry out a bit, then lift them properly and dry for a very long time in a dry airy place where, if possible, the air can circulate underneath too.  Probably best to avoid greenhouses or they'll cook ...  ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Harvesting onions

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2008, 21:27
by mashauk
xx
Harvesting onions

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 00:59
by Paul Plots
xx
Harvesting Garlic and Onions

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 06:10
by DD.
xx
harvesting overwintering onions.

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 16:32
by Yabba

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 29 queries.