leek question

• 28 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: leek question
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 09:35 »
I used to do this when I grew them in multipurp compost/soil mix raised beds at home.

I found that the beds sank so much during the course of the leeks growing period that they needed collars to blanch the bottom of the stems..................despite dibbing them in quite deeply.

WhiteWolf

• Experienced Member
  • The Bald One
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 09:39 »
Thanks Mum

I may have to try this then, as I don't think we dibbed deep enough  :ohmy:

So do I just place over the leek and push then gently in to the soil? and won't they go soggy when I water?

Questions, questions questions.

WW  8)

P.S.
Sorry for hyjacking the thread
Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 11:25 »
I tried it and, apart from the faff of getting the rolls (both toilet and Christmas paper ones) over the leaves and down to the ground, they did go soggy on me and fell apart. I have heard of tying newspaper or magazines around the stems so will try that this year although didn't do anything last year and my Tornadoes had lovely long white stems. I don't trim the leaves on planting, just the longer roots.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 12:57 »
I've got a book somewhere which even recommends that they are all planted with the leaves going in line with the rows!

Hmmm - sure to...;0)

Crikey  :ohmy:  I am a slacker then  :lol:

Hole made with dibber, leek chucked in, water sloshed down to wash some soil round the roots.  At this point I wander off and leave them to their own devices apart from the occasional weed and a few chicken manure pellets now and then  :D

From another slacker above is exactly my gardening on leeks never heard of trimming roots and leaves, thought that would slow the growing down have some left to plant that were gifted will have to experiment.
:D I garden therefore I am

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 13:11 »
I may have to try this then, as I don't think we dibbed deep enough
So do I just place over the leek and push then gently in to the soil? and won't they go soggy when I water?

That's all I did, and they will get wet when it rains - but held up long enough to blanch the stems ;)

Snoop

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 14:12 »
There are some people who recommend using bits of drainpipe rather than loo rolls. I haven't tried it. Mr Snoop did cut up some lengths of drainpipe but they were black rather than the usual pale grey and I thought they might actually cook the leeks inside in the sun. So I never used them.

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 16:26 »
I reckon that the cost of all that drain pipe, or the collection of all the loo-roll tubes, isn't really an issue worth considering!

If you're growing - say - ten leeks, then fine, but we have 140 now, and last year, it was 200 plus, so I'd clean out Drains-R-Us in one visit, and also have to .....

.....er.....don't go there Growster..;0)

Snoop

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 17:47 »
I reckon that the cost of all that drain pipe, or the collection of all the loo-roll tubes, isn't really an issue worth considering!

If you're growing - say - ten leeks, then fine, but we have 140 now, and last year, it was 200 plus, so I'd clean out Drains-R-Us in one visit, and also have to .....

.....er.....don't go there Growster..;0)

Mr Snoop is a fine tip and skip raider...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 21:56 »
Raiders of the lost skip - there must be a film in it  :lol: (In the title - not the skip  :nowink: )

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 07:06 »
Raiders of the lost skip - there must be a film in it  :lol: (In the title - not the skip  :nowink: )

Well there is, Mum...

'Skip to the loo my darling'

(Hat retrieved as well as coat...)!

Snoop

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 09:28 »
Thank you Growster and MoS, I've got a grim day's work ahead of me but those last remarks cheered me up no end.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 11:00 »
 :lol:  :lol:

beesrus

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 18:54 »
The only time to take off any leaf on a leek is if they've been visited by leek moth.

Regarding loo rolls etc, if the plants are planted deep enough, there's always plenty enough white on the leek. I have always eaten a fair bit of the green leaf as well, once thoroughly washed, and thought most people did. It's very tasty, like celery leaves, just as good as the main event.

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 06:51 »
I'm definitely with you there, Beesrus; you need to take off some of the coarse outer leaves on the green bits, but they look and taste gorgeous, especially when cooked with the blanched pieces!

They're also lovely stir fried as well!

xx
Thinning leek seedlings (sorry another leek question)

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
Leek question

Started by Oilrigger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 23, 2015, 12:22
by Goosegirl
xx
another leek question !

Started by sloworm on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 19:42
by DavidT
xx
Leek question

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 12:55
by Judd

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 38 queries.