Bent french beans

• 7 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Bent french beans
« on: July 18, 2014, 07:12 »
Morning chaps, have got some excellent results from my dwarf french beans (safari) great taste and very prolific but being so prolific the small plants are weighed down by the quantity of beans, it seems that a lot of them (in the cramped conditions at ground level are growing curved and distorted and some, of course, get pretty dirty ... well I can wash them off but can't straighten them. Has anyone ever bothered supporting them ? I guess it would be a bit trick y given there 'bushiness' (is that a word) ?

Many thanks Roger

snowdrops

Re: Bent french beans
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:24 »
Yes I've put a cane in before & tied them to it,bit awkward to find the main stem to loop the string round,but worth a try.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 13:02 »
In the past, I've grown climbing ones outside and found the beans bent upwards at the end and don't know why. I now grow both climbing and dwarf in my greenhouse and even the bottom ones don't bend - they just lie straight on the soil.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 13:14 »
In the past, I've grown climbing ones outside and found the beans bent upwards at the end and don't know why. I now grow both climbing and dwarf in my greenhouse and even the bottom ones don't bend - they just lie straight on the soil.

I have grown dwarf French beans in my mintunnel for the first time this year, and they are straight!!!! Outside they are a bit curly.

I wonder if it is to do with the amount of water they get (which is much move even under cover)? Does anyone else know?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 22:57 »
I live in windy west Cumbria and I've always put bent beans down to the frequent gales we get up here!

Sometimes it's difficult for humans to keep up straight so what chance do beans have?

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 07:13 »
Thanks chaps, good advice as ever. So maybe not over-crowding ! ... I'm hoping to get some more plants in this week and will tie them to a stake, there's little I can do if it's a watering problem, just grow more I guess and compost the curly ones (of course they're edible but aesthetically the don't look good) ... tongue in cheek ...

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 08:30 »
I live in windy west Cumbria and I've always put bent beans down to the frequent gales we get up here!

Sometimes it's difficult for humans to keep up straight so what chance do beans have?

:lol:
I think if they grow straight inside but not out it might be the wind that causes it. In that they touch on something & began to curl, could those of you that grow them inside experiment with one plant & prove me right for once :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 11:41 »

:lol:
I think if they grow straight inside but not out it might be the wind that causes it. In that they touch on something & began to curl, could those of you that grow them inside experiment with one plant & prove me right for once :lol:
As said before, grown them both outside and  inside and yes, the outside ones curl up 3/4 of the way down the pod. I live in a (sometimes very) windy place too.

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 36 queries.