leek question

• 28 Replies

salmonking

leek question
« on: July 15, 2014, 20:03 »
hi guys!
just a quick question.when I transplanted my leeks I cut the roots and tops like advised and planted deep in the ground.now,they are growing really well but the tops are growing long again!i thought be trimming them it would stop them going up?.is it ok to cut them shorter again,now they are in their final growing place or should I just leave them to it?thanks in advance

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: leek question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 20:14 »
Just leave them to grow now  :)

RaptorUK

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 20:21 »
A related question if I may . . .

I transplanted my Leeks to dibbered holes,  they look a little wilted now as I expected,  how long should it take to start looking happy again ?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:48 »
Keep them well watered in this hot weather, making sure some of the soil gets washed into the holes as you do so in case the roots aren't covered properly. A little wilting is only to be expected at first.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 08:11 »
They dont take long to stand back up, mine look fab already and they only went in last weekend

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:56 »
I dibbed mine three weeks ago and they are well away now!
After checking the posts on this site about dibbing leeks, I decided not to cut the roots or leaves and they have all taken, not one lost!
I would leave yours to their own devices now just making sure they have enough water.

Mel
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:52 by Elm street »

RaptorUK

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:34 »
Thanks folks,  I am watering them every other day while we are rainless . . .  I was wondering if I left them get too big before transplanting, the RHS says no larger than pencil thickness, most of mine are bby leek size.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 09:56 »
They'll be fine - with more leaf to support than smaller ones they are bound to wilt more until the roots get established (congratulate yourself on actually over-achieving 'pencil thickness' leeks!  :lol:)

Suppose I should mention that undue stress can lead to bolting, although I have had them bolt (and not bolt) seemingly at random.  :unsure:

salmonking

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 10:50 »
thanks all!leave alone then it is!! :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:41 »
With one potting-on with a little root and leaf trim then feeding with MiracleGrow a few times, mine are more like a fat biro size! Probably left them a bit late when planting out the other day but both leaves and roots had put on a lot of growth and it was difficult to get them in the holes. I trimmed off the longer roots but left the leaves alone.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

RaptorUK

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 14:30 »
They'll be fine - with more leaf to support than smaller ones they are bound to wilt more until the roots get established (congratulate yourself on actually over-achieving 'pencil thickness' leeks!  :lol:)

I actually put them in a nursery bed before they were pencil thickness as they seemed to have stalled in their cells . . . I'm now trying to get them into their appropriate final row positions.  Something else I've learned to do better for next year   :D

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 19:56 »
To go back to Salmonking's question, I've never heard of trimming off the tops of leek plants once they're in the ground and growing. Was this ever a normal practice? Like most people I know round here, I just let them grow and get on with it.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 07:12 »
To go back to Salmonking's question, I've never heard of trimming off the tops of leek plants once they're in the ground and growing. Was this ever a normal practice? Like most people I know round here, I just let them grow and get on with it.

I think it was just another way to get them in straight rows, without too much greenery flapping around, Snoop.

I've got a book somewhere which even recommends that they are all planted with the leaves going in line with the rows!

Hmmm - sure to...;0)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 08:24 »
I've got a book somewhere which even recommends that they are all planted with the leaves going in line with the rows!

Hmmm - sure to...;0)

Crikey  :ohmy:  I am a slacker then  :lol:

Hole made with dibber, leek chucked in, water sloshed down to wash some soil round the roots.  At this point I wander off and leave them to their own devices apart from the occasional weed and a few chicken manure pellets now and then  :D

WhiteWolf

• Experienced Member
  • The Bald One
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 09:26 »
Did I read in one of the threads on the boards about putting toilet roll inners around leeks (can't find the thread)?

Could some nice person explain why I would ned to do this please?

WW  8)
Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits

xx
Thinning leek seedlings (sorry another leek question)

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
leek question

Started by johnwoots on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post November 07, 2009, 16:42
by bexy
xx
Leek question

Started by Oilrigger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 23, 2015, 12:22
by Goosegirl
xx
Leek question

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 23:18
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.598 seconds with 38 queries.