How to use a Flame gun fuel and is Parafin the same as domestic heating oil?

• 1 Replies

conteasy

Hi everyone, there seems to be some confusion on how to use these.  You don't burn anything off in one go, you merely scorch weeds briefly with the first pass and them a few days later after it has withered and dried up it burns off quickly.  That way you don't crack concrete, waste fuel, or wear yourself out!  Perennial weeds with thick stems take more passes, rather than a longer burn, yes they will sprout again and you can more easily see where they are to dig out now all the annual weeds are gone.

Now my question: somebody said heating oil and parafin are the same?  Do any of you know if domestic heating oil is suitable to use in a Sheen gun without ruining it?  Nobody sells pumped parafin near me and the little plastic bottles from the garden centre are much too pricy!

JayG

• Global Moderator
If you Gurgle 'kerosene flame gun' you will find that lots of people do use domestic heating oil, which is a less refined, higher sulphur type of kerosene than paraffin, so not a substitute you would want to be using indoors, but I don't suppose you have weeds growing indoors!

I suggest you have a look at some of the info out there and make up your own mind.

Some people don't think flame guns work very effectively and you are better off using weedkiller - I find that path weeds regrow even after using weedkiller more than once.  :nowink:

I bought a cheap gas 'wand' which I no longer use having discovered the cost of replacement cartridges  :ohmy:, but if I had a flame gun which was relatively cheap to operate I'd expect the 'two pass' approach to work most of the time (or possibly weedkiller followed by a burn when the weeds go dry and brown.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Parafin Heater

Started by Dabhand on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 14:19
by beancounter
xx
Parafin wick

Started by jimroden on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 08:40
by jimroden
xx
Greenhouse parafin heater

Started by barney rubble on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 12:32
by mumofstig
xx
aladdinette II parafin heater

Started by massa on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 18:07
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 33 queries.