Late Merry Tiller Major (new to me)

• 3 Replies

T Howell

Late Merry Tiller Major (new to me)
« on: July 15, 2014, 13:00 »
Just brought a late Major with plastic guard, it starts and operates fine, but it does seem to back fire when I switch it off.

Is this normal or a symptom of something else, I am happy to live with it otherwise

Codes to follow

Engine
Model 112202
Type 0663-01
Code 84011603

Engine sticker Briggs and Stratton Milwaukee Wisconsin 187cc 4hp at 3600 SaeJ607 (magnetron)

Chassis pop rivet plate
Model No ac3480 Major
Serial 366 001133
Wolsey Webb ltd Edgemond avenvue B24 0Qx

any info please
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 19:29 by T Howell »

T Howell

Re: Late Merry Tiller Major (new to me)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 19:43 »
More Q's

Why do  I have 2 oil fillers one on the front and one on the back of the engine (photo)?

how can tell if there is enough oil in the transmission case? and what oil should I use?

Why does that bearing at the top of the drive box have an elongated slot over it, suggesting adjustment, I cant see what adjusts (photo)?

does anyone want those set of weighted razor sharp blade, they are very heavy, make me an offer (photo)

also what are those 6 inch X12 alloy "finger" things for (photo)

_39P1434 - Copy.JPG
_39P1436 - Copy.JPG
_39P1438 - Copy.JPG
_39P1426 - Copy.JPG
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 19:47 by T Howell »

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:24 »
Backfiring when the engine is switched off is slightly unusual, it is possible that the fuel air ratio is a bit out but it may be best to leave things alone if the machine runs OK. The engine is from January 1984 by the way, and must have been a very early AC3480 Major as the 1983 brochure did not list it, though all other “plastic guard” models were listed, including a new GT which never actually came out. The reason for two filler plugs is because B & S made that engine for hundreds of different applications and found it easier to fit two filler plugs rather than make a different timing case for those who needed the filler at the back or the front. Qualcast did make different timing covers for their engines, and someone had fitted a Qualcast mower engine to a Qualcast B66 rotavator that I bought, it fit OK but with the filler at the back it is difficult to fill, and the drain plug is impossible to get to.

You stand the machine so that the engine is level and fill until no more oil will go in the sump without it overflowing. SAE30 or 10W-40 engine oil was recommended by B & S.

That handle mounting bracket is welded to the chaincase so, though there may be a slight adjustment required during manufacture, the elongation is probably so that the same bracket can be used on the Titan which may have had the bearing in a different place on the chaincase.

The weighted blades are aerator rotors, the other twelve blades are hardened steel and are “hollow tynes” which are designed to take a plug out of the lawn as they go round. I have seen the aerator accessory make £200+ on eBay, I have also seen them make £5.
R Tallentire

T Howell

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:26 »
Thanks for all of that very useful

http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9533

This link has a scan of the 1970's brochure for them, it appears that the hollow tubes fit onto the weighted rollers

Lord knows how I will post them (to an ebay buyer), I reckon I will have to fabricate a wooden container for them!

xx
Merry tiller Major

Started by Richard Davis on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2006, 19:50
by p1
xx
Merry Tiller Major

Started by Paul Anderson on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post June 26, 2020, 17:00
by Paul Anderson
xx
Help with merry tiller, (Major)

Started by newatthis on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 12:44
by newatthis
xx
Merry Tiller 4hp Major

Started by johnp on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2007, 22:02
by bikerjohn

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 37 queries.