Another onion question!

• 11 Replies

miguelg

Another onion question!
« on: July 03, 2014, 14:18 »
Hi,
My Red Baron onions, spring planted and heat treated are starting to bulb up, however they are also starting to get mildew which affected most peoples autumn planted onions. What to do? Leave them alone or water them to get a bit bigger? I suppose storage is out the question too?
Thanks.

Snoop

Re: Another onion question!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 16:50 »
Have you thought about using a fungicide? Where I am, copper-sulphate powder or wettable is popular.

Edited: to add the question mark. Note to self: read before sending.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 16:51 by Snoop »

miguelg

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 21:28 »
You have probably guessed I am Spanish, by parentage and I do remember him using that, can you get it in the Uk?

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:48 »
I think so. Ask on the forum, someone's bound to be able to tell you. Not sure if there's a special brand name or anything. Either that or try a garden centre or hardware/dry-salter's shop.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 10:48 »
Vitax do a general fungicide called Bordeaux Mixture based on copper sulphate. As far as I know, it should be safe for use by the general public. If you can get hold of some, keep it in a dry place as the crystals absorb water very easily.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

simonwatson

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 11:40 »
I think Bordeaux Mixture is no longer available for sale and will be illegal to use after Feb 2015.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 11:56 »
Not according to this:

http://www.gro-welldirect.co.uk/blog/2013/05/vitax-bordeaux-mixture-statement/

and you can still buy it on Amazon, although it sounds like some stuff I'd sooner not put on my veg!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 12:16 »
Copper-sulphate is accepted as an organic fungicide here. I have to admit it's overused by some of the old boys round here, but I'll be sprinkling some on my tomatoes, onions and melons after the recent downpours.

Safety period according to the packet I've got is three weeks. I use it once over the course of the year about now and you certainly wouldn't want to use it often or eat the produce before the three weeks is up as it is toxic to both plants and humans in excessive amounts. This link might be useful:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/effects-copper-sulfate-plants-27633.html

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 13:17 »
Copper-sulphate is accepted as an organic fungicide here. I have to admit it's overused by some of the old boys round here, but I'll be sprinkling some on my tomatoes, onions and melons after the recent downpours.

Hope that's sprinkling as in spraying, rather than sprinkling as in powder (or crystals?)  :unsure:  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

simonwatson

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 14:48 »
Not according to this:

http://www.gro-welldirect.co.uk/blog/2013/05/vitax-bordeaux-mixture-statement/

and you can still buy it on Amazon, although it sounds like some stuff I'd sooner not put on my veg!

Aha. Looks like it'd seen have of the story, not the whole thing. Thanks DD.

Snoop

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 15:57 »
Hope that's sprinkling as in spraying, rather than sprinkling as in powder (or crystals?)  :unsure:  ;)

Actually, I have both, powder for dusting and wettable form for spraying. Both are sold here. I bought the wettable last autumn for problem quince trees but have never used it. To be honest, I like the idea of wettable as it's more likely to stick to the surface, but on the other hand you're applying more water to the surface. Wettable is usually sold here for fruit trees for applying in the autumn or very early spring depending on when people prune. The powder is sold for allotment use. The wettable form is also used for the vines for winemaking.

I'm only reporting what happens here, not what's ideal. I'm always a bit shocked when a friend of ours occasionally presents us with tomatoes with a bit of blue on them. We don't eat them. He's getting on for eighty, is very healthy and active and still has all his marbles and thinks there's nothing wrong with it, especially as it's accepted as "organic".

miguelg

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 16:30 »
Interesting, thanks everyone. Looks like its a little late to do anything now but I might purchase some for next year. As for watering I guess the coming rain will see to that.  :)

xx
onion question from first time onion grower

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:48
by gillie
xx
Onion question

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 00:17
by gavinjconway
xx
an onion question

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 15:58
by chrissie B
xx
Onion question

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 23:24
by Salmo

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 38 queries.