Hopeless tomatoes

• 14 Replies

snooziebunny

Hopeless tomatoes
« on: July 03, 2014, 22:32 »
Hi everyone,

was at the allotment with my daughter the other day and a fellow allotment-eer stopped by and gave us a lil tom to try - and OMG! they were amazeballs! The smallest sweetest little toms ever! And my daughter (who doesn't like tomatoes) hasn't stopped going on about them!

SO - I've bought a mini green house, bought the seeds and daughter has planted, so what I want to know is.... will we get toms or are we too late?!  I guess we can only try, but I'd hate for her to be disappointed, packet said to sow april to may - I think.....

Thanks xxx
Sarah xx

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Re: Hopeless tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 22:38 »
My tomatoes usually take about 18 - 20 weeks to start producing, though I know you can get some that are quicker than that. You may be better off trying to see if a local garden centre has any plants left you can buy for this year. I'd be wary of buying from the likes of B&Q / Homebase, as they tend to sell (imo) run of the mill varieties that won't necessarily taste as great as what you've experienced already.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

snooziebunny

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 22:54 »
thanks  ;) but my daughter has suddenly become a tomato snob and will only eat floridity  :nowink:  fingers crossed they do something  :)

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 23:22 »
thanks  ;) but my daughter has suddenly become a tomato snob and will only eat floridity  :nowink:  fingers crossed they do something  :)

hahaha, that's what happens when you try something that is just soooo good! Suttons website suggests 16 - 18 weeks for Floridity

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:10 »
You could try asking your neighbour if they would let you have any pinched out side shoots. These root easily in a jar of water in the shade and may give you a head start.

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:54 »
Keep at least one plant in a pot, and when the weather turns cold, take it indoors. Perhaps even her bedroom!

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 10:59 »
Crumbs - they sound good and have saved the name to try it out next year! Suttons say they are high in lycopene (hence the Latin name of Solanum lycopersicum) which is supposed to help protect against certain cancers as it is an anti-oxidant, plus it can be found naturally in various human organs. Apparently, the chef, Raymond Blanc, set up a tomato-tasting panel in 2007 and it was the top of the list!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 11:46 »
You could try asking your neighbour if they would let you have any pinched out side shoots. These root easily in a jar of water in the shade and may give you a head start.

This is an excellent idea. It will save you some precious time.

I don't even put them in a jar of water. I just put them in very moist compost. Keep them first in the shade as suggested above and soon you will see roots popping out of the pot from below. Then train them by exposing them more and more to the sun.

It's a lot faster than growing from seed.

beesrus

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 13:56 »
Crumbs - they sound good and have saved the name to try it out next year!
You won't regret that decision GG. I've got Floridity cherry plums this year more out of a chance meeting, have been harvesting them for 10 days and I have to say they're the best tasting cherry toms I've ever tasted. They're sweet, with almost a crunchy skin ( not chewy). They've started producing quicker than anything else ( 62 days is quoted somewhere ! so maybe a late June sowing might just get a crop ), and the crop looks as if it will be profuse, to say the least. A long cropping season under glass as well apparently.

The only drawback is they're F1 and they're not cheap. The F1 thing really is a dead end in many ways as far as saving seed is concerned. Tozer seeds in the UK are the producers.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 14:34 »
I know that the final sad-looking tomato plants in the DIY stores are really the last resort, but don't knock them, as all they need is a decent bed, and a bit of pinching out - rather like an ageing Growster I suspect...

;0)

(And also, who's to really know what they are in the end...)?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 14:57 »
Been and Queued have some on sale, there's even an odd tomato or two on the plants.

Only £9.98 each, but they come in a big pot.

No, didn't buy any, I went in for a new handle for the loo, which was cheaper and better value than the tomato plants!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 15:14 »
was at the allotment with my daughter the other day and a fellow allotment-eer stopped by and gave us a lil tom to try - and OMG! they were amazeballs! The smallest sweetest little toms ever! And my daughter (who doesn't like tomatoes) hasn't stopped going on about them!

Yes - real tomatoes are "amazeballs" Makes you realise how bad mass produced things have become.

Snaffle a sideshoot from someone - or even a plant, I expect everyone on your site has some spare if you ask ;) It's important to encourage and nurture any interest in real food and where it comes from.

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 16:02 »

I've got Floridity cherry plums this year more out of a chance meeting, have been harvesting them for 10 days and I have to say they're the best tasting cherry toms I've ever tasted. They're sweet, with almost a crunchy skin ( not chewy). They've started producing quicker than anything else ( 62 days is quoted somewhere ! so maybe a late June sowing might just get a crop ), and the crop looks as if it will be profuse, to say the least. A long cropping season under glass as well apparently.

The only drawback is they're F1 and they're not cheap. The F1 thing really is a dead end in many ways as far as saving seed is concerned. Tozer seeds in the UK are the producers.

I'll be trying them next year. But I was surprised at the prices I've seen quoted for ten seeds. Every supplier over three pounds, one nearly four. :ohmy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 16:26 »

Snoop

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 17:12 »
Thanks, DD.

xx
Top 3 tomatoes?

Started by Biscombe on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2006, 20:55
by lentil987
xx
tomatoes

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 12, 2021, 19:31
by Linnie
xx
Bad tomatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 16:09
by Trillium
xx
Tomatoes -Help

Started by Charlotte on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 22:51
by Trillium

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 29 queries.