Thornless gooseberries

• 7 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Thornless gooseberries
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:30 »
Anyone have any experience of these and can recommend varieties and/or suppliers please?

Beetroot Queen

Re: Thornless gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 13:04 »
Lidl have some in small patio tree form, fellow plotter highly agrees they are fab. After harvesting my thorny berries I am inclined to agree

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 14:40 »
Lidl have some in small patio tree form, fellow plotter highly agrees they are fab. After harvesting my thorny berries I am inclined to agree

I picked a load of gooseberries this morning, and most of my bushes are Invicta, so you can imagine the cries of pain - and the occasional swear word - coming from my plot. Thornless sounds like a good way to go!

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 16:06 »
I am with you BQ and jaydig.  Scratched to pieces today, but good harvest this year.  Also, is it me, or are they ready 2-3 weeks earlier than usual?   I have  1 bush each of Yellow Champagne, Red Hinnomaki and Invicta plus 1 of unknown variety and all are ripe now apart from about 25% of the Hinnomaki Red which I left for a later blood letting session.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 16:15 by AnneB »

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 16:21 »
Going back to the original post, I have always used RV Roger of Pickering for mail order soft fruit bushes.  The quality and service are both excellent and they have a wide range including 3 red ones that have few thorns,   Captivator, Xenia and Pax.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 17:02 »
Kind of related... my legs are scratched to b*****y as I've been harvesting GBs over the last week or so.
I think I might try to 'convert' my bushes into cordon's (not entirely sure if this is the done thing) - I'd imagine that cordons will be easier to pick from and easier to spot/avoid thorns.
Also seems you can plant them closer together according to RHS ... yep, think I'll give it a go come Autumn.

Cheers,
Balders

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 20:30 »
Thanks, I have bookmarked Rogers of Pickering for autumn

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 08:08 »
I have 2 Invicta bushes and 1 Pax on my plot. 

The Pax is a sprawling bush that tends to grow long, soft branches, rather than the more upright sturdy framework of the Invictas, so bear that in mind if you go for this one and give it some room.  It produces a decent crop of dessert gooseberries and they are very good eating.

I know Invicta are evil to pick, but the yield is amazing by comparison.  I've already posted this piccie in my diary, but the 2 buckets and the central plastic bag are all from my 2 Invictas (and I gave some away to fellow plot holders)  :)  The Pax fruits weren't ready when I picked this lot, but I'm looking at a large bowl full of fruit from the bush if all the fruits currently on there make it to ripeness.

xx
Thorny or thornless?

Started by Puff on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2006, 11:08
by Puff
clip
Thornless Blackberry

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2021, 17:04
by AndyRVTR
xx
Is this a Thornless Blackberry?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 12:43
by Yana
clip
Thornless Blackberry Q

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 24, 2021, 09:44
by New shoot

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 37 queries.