Thorny or thornless?

• 5 Replies

Puff

Thorny or thornless?
« on: December 24, 2006, 09:39 »
I've a fancy to grow some blackberries.  The local nursery has both the thornless and thorny types.  I'd like to grow them up posts then across wires (is this called 'espalier'?)

Has anyone on the forum grown them this way?  Which type did best, thorny or thornless?   Any tips on varieties ?

shirazcat

thorny or thornless
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 14:05 »
Hi puff,
             Growing blackberries & their varieties is best done as you suggest, on post & wires. It is not called espalier, this is the term for training hard fruits such as apples & pears on wires. For blackberries you need 2 stout posts, approx 6 feet apart with 3 wires stretched between them roughly 18 inches apart, the first one needs to be about 3 feet from the ground. Plant the blackberry in the middle of the posts. In the first year shoots will grow & these need training in to the wires as they grow. It is best to train them to one side, because next year you will get more shoots & these can be trained in to the other side. In the second year the first lot of canes will fruit, then you cut them down in the autumn. In the third  year the canes that grew in the second year will fruit & so on & so on.
 More info available from the RHS site, but that is the basics. I would grow thornless varieties ,these are much easier to deal with & there are some excellent modern varieties, one of which is called waldo. This has large  very tasty fruits that crop much earlier than other varieties (the end of July)
              Adrian.
life is too short for work

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Thorny or thornless?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 15:49 »
Hi Puff
I grow them like shirazcat say's, in my back garden. We have a thornless variety called "Loch Ness" its very tasty and bears quite large fruit, the berries are regularly the size of a thumb or a little bigger, it also crops over a longish period.
If you know any one who has a nice blackberry then ask them for a cutting they are pretty easy to root.
Hope this helps Merry Christmas
Rich
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Puff

Thorny or thornless?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 07:06 »
Thanks for the advice there shirazcat and richy :)

I think I'll be going with a thornless variety, sounds alot easier than wrestling great thorns.  I've seen one thornless plant down the allotments, so here's hoping the owner is up for a swap

Merry Christmas :D

supersprout

• Experienced Member
Thorny or thornless?
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 09:16 »
Hello puff, I went on an excellent course at Barnsdale Gardens on propagating soft fruit - a morning and change from £15 including lunch, well worth while :D it seems to make more sense seeing the plants and asking questions than reading!

A pic of how Nick Hamilton trains his blackberries like shiraz, keeps it very simple. The canes are 'stopped' at the ends if they overgrow, and he uses mulch to keep the weeds down.

Puff

Thorny or thornless?
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 11:08 »
Thanks for the diagram supersprout, makes it nice and clear :)

xx
A thorny lesson in life.

Started by willowman on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 20:57
by Livinhope
xx
Thornless Blackberry

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 09:01
by sunshineband
xx
Is this a Thornless Blackberry?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 12:43
by Yana
clip
Thornless Blackberry

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2021, 17:04
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 35 queries.