Hello from Yorkshire

• 12 Replies

Cliffy

Hello from Yorkshire
« on: June 28, 2014, 08:12 »
Hi everyone. After being on a waiting list for 8 years out of the blue we got a letter offering us a plot. Needless to say the whole family was very excited. That's until we went to see the plot. It really is a jungle with some of the weeds being around 5 feet tall. Initially we were going to turn the plot down but we have waited too long so decided to accept. Having never being involved in a project like this before we were just looking for a bit of advice as to the best way of clearing our jungle ? I thought of hiring a strimmer to clear the way then a rotivator to turn the soil. Am I on the right lines or are there better ways of doing things ? Thanks in advance.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello from Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 09:47 »
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new lotty.

Don't rotovate as you'll just chop weed roots up into lots more plants.

Can't do links on my phone but if you go to the main website by clicking the links under the banner at the top of the page, there is an article on clearing the plot.

If you add your general location to your forum profile we'll be able to remember whereabouts you are. :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 12:47 »
Hello and welcome Cliffy and family. Start by strimming and then see what you've got. You could dig out the weeds section by section or you could just kill the whole lot off with a view to starting next season with a clear plot.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 12:49 »
Hi there I echo what Yorkie says, adding depends if you want to use chemicals or not. If you do, strim,wait for a bit of re growth & spray with a systemic weedkiller that takes it right to the roots. Start a diary on here & take lots of photo's so you can see how far you've progressed when you feel you're not getting very far. Whereabouts in Yorkshire? I'm originally from Doncaster. :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 13:24 »
Welcome to the froum :)

John's advice for plot clearance is here

http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment/clearing-new-allotment-plot.php

I'll move this thread over to GYO, now.

Cliffy

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 13:36 »
Thanks for all the advice very useful. We live near Ilkley but the plot is is Esholt. You may have heard of that as its the village where they used to film Emmerdale Farm. Ill make sure I take lotss of pics as we progress and thanks again.

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 13:52 »
Welcome from just north of York. You are onto a good start with all the advice here. What ever you do (weedkiller or digging) it's worth putting some weed suppressant over the top where your beds are going to be. Hold it down by putting soil over the edges. Then when you go to plant you don't have to re do it as weeds love to grow straight back, you'll only be weeding the areas you are using.
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 14:19 »
Hello and welcome  :)

My plot was a jungle too when I first started and with lots of hard work and effort I am now harvesting my own veg.  I still have a corner were the weeds are in control and not me!!!  However the rewards are amazing and the joy you feel when you see you vegetables come to life after sowing a few seeds are worth all the effort.

Enjoy!!!

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 18:44 »
Cliffy,  your site is very near to the small industrial estate on Hollins Hill, on the right as you head towards Baildon and Shipley.   There is a tree surgeon called GP Gill there who will let you have unlimited supplies of bark chippings for free as long as you phone them in advance and take your own bags to pack it in.  Take a shovel!   It will come in very handy if you eventually decide to use weed suppressant fibre covered with woodchip for your paths.

Good luck!

Cliffy

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 08:26 »
I know exactly where you mean. Thats great thanks for the tip.  :D

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 10:16 »
Hi cliffy welcome to the site ,lots of advice and help from the many members good luck with your plot  ;)
diggity dig dig

rubberfrog

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 08:41 »
A new plot is very exciting if some what overwhelming at the same time.  Take it slow and steady, make some sort of a plan, clear a section and get some veg in.  Grow quick crops like salads and prepare for some autumn planting, onions, garlic, spring cabbage.

You could not even see our plot when it was given to us.  soon had it looking some thing reasonable with lots of delicious fruit and veg.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.

RF  :)

LosingThePlot

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 10:46 »
Welcome!

I can only echo rubberfrog's comments about clearing a section and getting stuff in. It'll give you a real boost to see stuff growing so quickly. And keep believing that you will get there because the sense of achievement, when you've turned a plot around from what you've been given, will be immense.

It's hard work, but you'll enjoy the rewards. Best of luck!

xx
Blight in Yorkshire?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 08, 2011, 22:01
by MichelleC
xx
Hello from the West Yorkshire Moors

Started by SuziQ on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 21:47
by solway cropper
xx
vegetable shows in yorkshire

Started by duncan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 19:31
by black diamond
xx
Is it too soon to plant out sweetcorn in S Yorkshire?

Started by Wild Willow on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 20:15
by Wild Willow

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 38 queries.