Peas again!

• 7 Replies

snooziebunny

Peas again!
« on: June 11, 2014, 16:23 »
How tall do they need to be before I can take the netting off the top? - Obviously will leave support for them to grow, but guess they don't need to be covered when they're bigger? Thanks x
Sarah xx

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Peas again!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 16:38 »
I have to keep mine netted all the time. The local pigeons found out how to flatten the tops to make landing pads!  :mad:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

beesrus

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 21:14 »
Depends on the locale.
In my sheltered garden patrolled on a regular basis by the cat who's camped out there this time of year, the peas never need bird netting at any stage, nor does anything else strangely. Worth her weight in gold that cat :) 
On the exposed allotment with expectant trained birds, it is a different problem entirely. Undoubtedly, for  me the biggest problem on the plot is when the plants are small and most vulnerable. But at least the pea netting doesn't have to be as comprehensive as brassica netting, my birds aren't that frenzied.

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 08:23 »
Yes, it's odd how birds seem to have their local customs.   Brassicas, blackcurrants, strawberries and blueberries need to be protected with netting on our site.   Everything else, including peas and all other soft fruit is left well alone.   

We have noticed though that once cabbages are bigger they can be left un-netted, but only on some plots.  We have a few plotholders who are on site almost all day and their more mature brassicas can be left unprotected, but the plot next door where they turn up at the weekend only have to net throughout the plant lifecycle.   We assume that the plotholders are acting as mobile scarecrows!

fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 09:12 »
I leave the netting on until harvesting is completed.

The one year I took the netting off to use elsewhere the Pigeons decimated my crop as DD says they flattened the tops to use them as a landing pad.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 14:38 »
We've just lot eight trays of module pots to mice, so the last sowing will definitely be direct, and under a strong net!

As DD reminds us always, there's a risk of mildew if they go in too late, but I'd rather take the risk, than go without, rather unlike the mice, who will have a surprise 'meal' awaiting them next time...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 15:52 »
I wonder if it's time to revisit soaking peas in paraffin - like the OBs do  :unsure:

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 15:59 »
I wonder if it's time to revisit soaking peas in paraffin - like the OBs do  :unsure:

I think we'll sow them direct down at The Patch, Mum, and give them DD's carrot treatment of cast iron netting with bolts and padlocks until they get away!

The dog has been going bananas with all the vermin near the compost heap here, so it'll be a quieter life all round!

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
peas

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 12:16
by harry
xx
PEAS!!!! How to ???

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 15:51
by TheWhiteRabbit

Page created in 0.809 seconds with 30 queries.