sweetcorn turned yellow.

• 6 Replies

3759allen

sweetcorn turned yellow.
« on: June 10, 2014, 22:14 »
i had to go away on holiday for the last fortnight, unfortunately right at the wrong time for growing as everything could have done with an extra few days or a week before being planted out or potted on.

as i had to rely on other people to water for me while i was away i opted to keep everything in there current size pots and put as much as possible in trays so they wouldn't matter as much if the watering got forgotten. all my toms, cucs and sweetcorn were put into a bodged up shallow hole lined with a tarp to try and hold as much water as possible for as long as possible.

all this seemed to work well enough, although not perfect. as it happens everything went nuts while i was away and come back to a jungle both in the tunnel and veg patch.

anyway back to the actual question. most of the sweetcorn foliage has gone yellow, they look pretty healthy and strong just not lush green. they were about 3 or 4 inches when i left and pushing 3 foot when i got back, so they had a bit of a spurt. they were in 5 litre pots while i was away, i have not planted out in there final position outside.

will they turn back green when they get some nutrients from the soil and a steadier supply of water or will they be a bit of a flop?

anything i can do to help them recover?

thanks all.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: sweetcorn turned yellow.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 22:36 »
If I understand what you're saying has happened to your sweetworn - i.e. essentially they have had a bit of stress - then I would say that in my experience they will likely pick up ok.
Root disturbance when they are first planted out has always seemed to be the big 'no no' Maybe give them a bit of a tonic - I tend to plant them with a handfull of chicken pellets and then give them a nettle&comfrey  tea every other week. Not scientific but works for me...
You might just have enough time for another sowing - but its cutting it very fine...

Cheers,
Balders

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 22:47 »
This is based on them having been watered properly.... They seem to have run out of nutrients.. plant them out asap into your prepared and fertilised bed... you can add a feed of ammonium sulphate as a quick fix to get them green again.

I dont mind disturbing their roots at all. I grow over 200 plants each year and never had a problem with them sulking. I sow them in 24 section module trays and pop them out into the plot when they are anywhere from 4-18" high dependant on if I remembered to sow them early enough!! Quite a few fall out of the soil when pushing them out the module when planting out and they just shrug their shoulders and catty on growing.   Well I have never had them sulk but people say they dont like being disturbed.. Yours at 3' high will however probably not like being disturbed as they are quite developed and need care when planting out. Dig a hole the size of the pot and plant them carefully..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 13:31 »
An application of foliar feed at planting time will give them a boost as well - they are very hungry plants and it sounds as if their nitrogen levels have been depleted because it is a very soluble nutrient.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 13:32 by Goosegirl »
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 22:19 »
thanks for the replies.

they was planted outside first thing this morning and watered in well. they seem to be looking a little happier already or it might just be telling myself that.

the soil should be holding enough nutrients from plenty of rabbit manure dug in over winter and now a heavy layer of rabbit manure mulch. 

i have ordered some ammonium sulphate today so will add that as soon as it arrives. it was listed as a fixing agent in the ad, i'm assuming it's the same stuff?

what strength does it need to be mixed at?

thanks.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 22:24 »
I use a handful per square meter approx... scattered and then water in.

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 22:38 »
thanks for the reply.

i'll do the same then. can you over feed with it? is it best not to let it touch the actual plant?

xx
Tomato seedlings turned pale yellow??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2024, 14:34
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Blanched my sweetcorn, some of it turned orange???????

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 07:05
by vineweevil1
xx
Sweetcorn going red yellow in propagator

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 19:32
by gavinjconway
xx
sweetcorn yellow not milky

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 08:19
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 29 queries.