Can squash (seedlings) get too much sunlight? (leaves bleached)

• 1 Replies

Spr0ut

I could follow up with a photo later.

I took my BNS, Courgette and other squashes seedlings out of the propagator as soon as I saw the first (cotyledon) leaves pushing through and placed them in a south facing window in a tray with foil backing to maximize the light.

They have not been over dry or too wet, but the first leaves and the first true leaves on some of them are looking bleached around the edges and the worst ones look as if they might not recover.

The question is - especially in this recent wave of sunshine - should I pull my tender plants away from the window in the highest part of the day, or maybe put a gauze screen (fleece?) in front to filter the strongest rays?

Or am I doing something else wrong?

JayG

• Global Moderator
The first leaves are very tender when new, so can be damaged by too much sunlight (more so if you wetted them when watering.)

The weather is set to change in the next few days so now might not be the best time to be moving them away from the window, but you could try either of your suggestions for as long as the strong sunshine continues.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Seedlings with no leaves

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2017, 18:29
by AussieInFrance
xx
Potting on squash seedlings

Started by Ethel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2019, 08:38
by fatbelly
xx
Watering Squash Seedlings

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 22:23
by Kristen
xx
CABBAGE SEEDLINGS WITH YELLOWING LEAVES

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 17:08
by peterjf

Page created in 0.727 seconds with 29 queries.