Rusty garlic

• 3 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Rusty garlic
« on: May 16, 2014, 20:49 »
So I have been battling rust on my garlic since March and I thought I had kept it in check until I went down there today after a week.... And they look terrible - the Vaseline has obviously work off and it up has spread like wildfire and the lower leaves are yellow and dying from the rust. I would have to cut every leaf off to get rid of it.

If I leave them am I likely to still get a fairly decent crop? I just pulled one today out of interest and the 'bulb' is about the thickness of the stems which are maybe 1/2 inch to inch across.

They are right next to my onions and I spotted a few yellow tips so I'm worried it will spread..

What would you do?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Rusty garlic
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 07:12 »
Garlic rust affects garlic, leeks and onions and if every leaf is really covered in it, the plants won't really be growing.  Sorry, but a decent crop isn't that likely  :(

If it was me, I would pull the garlic out and salvage what I could to eat as green garlic, or maybe a garlic oil or garlic butter.  The latter freezes well, so you could chill it, then cut into chunks or slices to freeze.  Green garlic has a milder taste so use more than usual  :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 19:05 »
Ok, could I use the bulbs as 'cloves' to plant for next year as they were quite expensive or does the rust stay on them?

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 19:49 »
Mine had rust on them last year and they grew fine but don't think it was as serious as yours sounds. Take a picture?

Generally its advised to save the biggest and best of what you grow for seed (in this case cloves) as they should grow better the next year. If all you have is small garlics it's probably not worth saving.

xx
Rusty Garlic

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 21:06
by sawnee
xx
Rusty garlic

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 20:45
by catweazle
xx
Rusty Garlic?

Started by Scotch Thistle on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 07:22
by sunshineband
xx
Garlic (rusty)

Started by EVIE on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 09:38
by anniel

Page created in 0.632 seconds with 29 queries.