Garlic (rusty)

• 10 Replies

EVIE

Garlic (rusty)
« on: June 13, 2008, 21:57 »
help our garlic had gone rusty, what has caused this and will the garlic be ok :cry:
Evie

gobs

Garlic (rusty)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 23:05 »
Humid weather, garlic will be fine.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
Garlic (rusty)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:11 »
I have seen this question on a variety of forums this year.

Since mine are looking disgusting with it I have read all the answers and the consensus of opinion is that the bulbs will be perfectly all right.

I have lifted one or two of mine early because I wanted garlic for the kitchen and there has been nothing wrong with the bulbs, it is a bit small but that could be from early lifting.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

Hampshire Hog

Garlic (rusty)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 09:16 »
My garlic is seriously rusted but I am just leaving it to hopefully swell. :oops:

One thought though must try to avoid putting related veg into this bed for a while otherwise it will cause a problem again.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
Garlic (rusty)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 21:11 »
This is my first experience of the problem.

Sadly too it is the first time I have bought UK garlic bulbs for planting in the UK

Previously I have always just planted some cloves which started to sprout from those I had bought in the supermarket. Now don't get excited. I used to pot up these cloves at home.

This time I used the allotment site. I deliberately planted cloves from growing bulbs (not eating bulbs) on soil which was a long way away  from anything onion related I had ever planted in the last 10 years. I got them from a garden centre who have a wonderful reputation called 'Dobbies'.

At the moment they are an orrible yellow with brown spots. Veteran plot holders are asking 'wassup with yer garlic? Theirs is fine.

I will say that I have pulled a few for use in the kitchen and the bulbs seem perfectly ok. Small, but then, to be fair I have pulled them early because I want to cook with them.

Perhaps garlic rust is similar to potato scab. It may not look pretty but it does not prevent the product from being totally edible.

I have researched every site I can find and most have a garlic rust problem on them. It seems to be a contagion but not a serious one.

I hate my allotment plot looking sad for what ever reason and am unhappy with the garlic results this year.

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
Garlic (rusty)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 21:46 »
amberleaf,
I've got 130 garlic cloves growing.
Most came from Dobies (not Dobbies  :) ) although some is 'supermarket-leftovers'. All of it was planted on Dec 21st last year.
All of mine has rust.
Here's a pic I posted in another garlic thread.

I've dug up one plant, which hadn't fully formed, but am letting the rest grow on for a few weeks in the hope of getting something usable.
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
Garlic (rusty)
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 22:04 »
Quote from: "WirralWally"
amberleaf,
I've got 130 garlic cloves growing.
Most came from Dobies (not Dobbies  :) ) although some is 'supermarket-leftovers'. All of it was planted on Dec 21st last year.
All of mine has rust.
Here's a pic I posted in another garlic thread.

I've dug up one plant, which hadn't fully formed, but am letting the rest grow on for a few weeks in the hope of getting something usable.

Well good for you.

I would still like to know why I am the only one with a 'rust', problem on the entire allotment site.

And thank you so  much for being so thoughtful, to correct my spelling of a name. One needs to be intimately involved with an unusual name to deliberately correct the spelling with such conviction.

Diggerpete

Garlic (rusty)
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 22:32 »
This rust is an airborne problem not one from the soil. Usually the garlic is OK

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Garlic (rusty)
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 23:34 »
Quote from: "amberleaf"
Well good for you.

I would still like to know why I am the only one with a 'rust', problem on the entire allotment site.

And thank you so  much for being so thoughtful, to correct my spelling of a name. One needs to be intimately involved with an unusual name to deliberately correct the spelling with such conviction.

No need to be sarky amberleaf  :roll:

Play nicely please or we'll get your mum to take you home  :wink:

Carol

Garlic (rusty)
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 07:26 »
I don't think correction of spelling was the intent here -
Dobies - online seed merchant
Dobbies - large garden centre.
Different companies I believe.
My garlic is rusty as well!
Carol - aiming for organicness.

anniel

Rusty Garlic
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 09:38 »
Hi
We've got rusty garlic too.  Apparently its something to do with the leaves getting wet. The garlic will be fine.  We cut off the worse affected leaves and disposed of them. (don't compose)  We harvested our first 3 bulbs yesterday and they look great :) Hope this helps

xx
Rusty Garlic?

Started by Scotch Thistle on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 07:22
by sunshineband
xx
Rusty Garlic

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 21:06
by sawnee
xx
rusty garlic

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 13:30
by aelf
xx
Rusty Garlic

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 19:29
by Ropster

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 28 queries.