Is it too late to set replacement seeds ?

• 4 Replies

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
Is it too late to set replacement seeds ?
« on: May 07, 2014, 09:59 »
Hi Everyone  :)
I only have a 10' x10' veg plot Because my other Half is not a big fan of veg & we only have a small garden so when it comes to brassicas I only need about 4 of each which means I have to grow from seed because the G/C sell them in 10/12, too many for me & no neighbours to share with. This year most of my seedlings have started well & then failed, Is it too late to re-seed Cauli, brussell. Being cheeky  ::) I did call in at a local allotment to see if they had any spare plants & came away with 6 cabbage plants, result  :) ( they were spare because the brewery who own the land next to there empty pub are selling all the land after September, it's been allotments since 1975 so they're only planting what they can harvest)
Any answers gratefully accepted.
Keith

andy dewar

Re: Is it too late to set replacement seeds ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 12:54 »
Hi yes iv just put some savoy cabbage in today so youve got plenty of time to sow just check on the packets for info and maybe make a coldframe if possible and sow a succession of seeds in small batches in there  good luck :)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 13:27 »
In your situation, continuity is the name of the game. Sow every 2-3 weeks just a few of what you fancy. Bring them on in pots and then plant out. Each time you cut say a cabbage or cauliflower replace it with one from a pot.
Sprouts take longer to grow so bring on in pots and plant out one in each corner, so they will not be in the way. There are brassica seeds for every season.

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 15:40 »
i planted both summer and winter brassicas at the end of june last year, these then got ravaged by caterpillars and prob didn't recover until august/ september.

these all produced crops in some form, broccoli had the poorest restults, but the cauliflower that took until jan/ feb to be ready were really impressive considering.

so you can pretty much plant right through the summer but the later you plant (when the days are cold and short) the longer you have to leave them.

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 08:40 »
Morning  :)
Many Thanks for showing interest in my question & for the comments received. I forgot to mention that the veg plot is in full sun from about 10am till sundown but it can get very windy so I got some sprout seeds that only grow to about half normal height but they are classed as early, is it too late to re-set them to get a harvest ?
Keith

xx
Am I too late for seeds?

Started by ldavison10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 17:14
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Is it too late to sow leek seeds?

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 06:28
by celjaci
xx
is it to late to grow onions from seeds

Started by danny358 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 08:24
by arugula
xx
Is it too late to sow runner bean seeds

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2022, 17:22
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.702 seconds with 28 queries.