Any thoughts on this year's multi-purpose compost?

• 23 Replies

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
Apologies if there is a thread about this already but I have looked and not found so I thought I would ask the question:  what experiences are others having with this year's different "makers"/suppliers of MPC?  I made a big mistake and bought a pallet load from Wickes - the mistake was falling for the low price and the fact they would deliver to me - a selling point in itself!  The compost stinks of bog/marsh - it is clearly old and has gone off.  It is full of bits of twig and other unidentifiable large lumps.  I think my plants may well have suffered as a result of using this compost as I'm sure it is hindering rather than helping growth.  Wish I'd gone for a more expensive option now, but hey ho I guess I'll have to put it down to experience.  So what's good and not so good out there?  :unsure:

fizz

Re: Any thoughts on this year's multi-purpose compost?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 14:37 »
Really pleased with the b&q verve multipurpose this year £6.00 for 125L so can't go wrong.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 14:56 »
Having read many posts about compost this year, I think been-and-queued must be one of the best, especially if you get it in bulk and/or go on a Wednesday if you are over 60 and have one of their discount cards. It's not an option to scrimp on because all your hard work, cost of seeds and plants etc, will go to waste if you do.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 15:07 »
I've been happy with B&Qs 125L bags this year (damn heavy mind you!!), I'm on my second bag so far.

Sieved it for seeds and plug plants, not too many bits though and what there has been has been used in the bottom of my large potato planted so not wasted!

Had good seed germination (hear 100%) and everything seems to be growing well (but I've no comparison!).

Hannah :)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 15:32 »
I suspect you will get several different answers, because we all have different expectations . I too have used Verve for several years. It still has some peat in it and it reasonably priced (better on Wednesdays) I use it to rejuvenate the soil in pots and add some poultry pellets. It's a system that works for me.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 20:02 »

Hi,

I used to use only Wickes own, then they went and changed the formula, as far as i'm concerned it's now  total cr-p!

Why do companies try to fool their loyal customers by making changes to their products, either smaller portions plus an increase in price as well, or in MPC ten times worse!

Back to peat based, that's proper MPC!
STOP, and smell the roses!

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 20:31 »
Jacks magic.....enough said.

mrsbean

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 22:47 »
me too verve 125 ltr, went sunday missed my discount. still had 3/4 bag from last year that was sieved for this years toms, doing fine. was given smaller bag by neighbour that was BOGOF from the r..ge  darker, fluffy woody, with added nutri dries out quicker and goes hard which was more expensive, plants still doing ok in it. will use to mix to top up green house border.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 08:44 »
Jacks magic.....enough said.

Me too. Too early to tell what it's going to perform like as regards results, but it certainly looks the business.

rubberfrog

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 08:54 »
B & Q 125L has been fine this year, i mix with vermiculite and everything so far is doing mighty fine, bought early on and got 3 125L for £12, bargain.  :)

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 20:03 »
I have very little to use MPC for. I bought Bowers Soil Based Seed Compost this year and am unimpressed with the quality, very lumpy for a seed compost, could do with sieving really.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 20:24 »
I have found the Wilko's quite good this year, very few woody bits 3 for £10. Rheumatoid arthritis means I find the 125L bales to big to manage.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 17:44 »

Hi,

I used to use only Wickes own, then they went and changed the formula, as far as i'm concerned it's now  total cr-p!

Why do companies try to fool their loyal customers by making changes to their products, either smaller portions plus an increase in price as well, or in MPC ten times worse!

Back to peat based, that's proper MPC!

I contacted Wickes to moan about the quality of their compost but was fobbed off with a generic reply, saying nobody else had complained.  I didn't really expect to get anywhere.  Great to hear other people's tips, though - I think next year I'll drive to Glasgow and get a van load of Verve  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 18:21 »
Shovelled 2 X 125L bags of B+Q's multipurpose compost into my GH planters this afternoon, and it looks very good, as it did last year, although this year there were no mystery pieces of plastic at all.

Ideal for seed sowing, with very little or no sieving required, but after last year I still have my doubts about the nutrient content for growing on plants - this may be unfair, but I've incorporated some Growmore this time around just in case, so will never know whether that's really an issue or not.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 18:22 »
Clover is good as ever.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
My multi-purpose compost mix

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 13:41
by sunshineband
xx
Multi purpose compost

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:43
by courgette
xx
How good is your multi-purpose compost?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 11:29
by savbo
xx
Multi purpose v seed compost

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 14, 2019, 09:14
by Lardman

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 29 queries.