Hellebores are such good value!

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Hellebores are such good value!
« on: April 10, 2014, 14:24 »
My hellebores have been just fantastic, especially this year. They last ages, their flowers lift their head up further and further as time goes on, they cross-breed, set seed quite easily (quite a lot in my case), and I've just ordered some more. Anyone else love them?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Paul Plots

Re: Hellebores are such good value!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 14:53 »
We've had one in the family for about 100 years... well, off-spring from the original plant that grew in Somerset when my mother lived with her aunt.

From there a root cutting moved to London and, years later to my mother's married home. After that it came south with us to three more homes. A white Christmas Rose.

My wife likes hellebores too and, as you say, they cross easily, self-seed and spread given the right conditions. A very good value for money sort of plant.

Slugs & snails?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 15:28 »
Your right about the seeds...all round the garden, in the lawn and in the cracks of the path. a small price to pay for such a lovely plant. I wish i had a bigger garden then i could have more. 1 of mine came from my aunt's garden on the south coast. They have been lovely this year.  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 15:56 »
Yes I like them too, gave some seedlings to son & partner for their new garden a couple of years back & they've flowered beautifully this year.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 17:38 »
I love them.  I have a whole load of babies ready to go into an area of shrubs that I have just thinned out and I think they will do very well there.  I have loads of different colors from white right through to one that is nearly black so I am looking forward to seeing what the babies turn out like.  The flowers are lovely if you snip them off and put them floating in a glass/crystal bowl filled with water - makes a lovely centre piece for a table.

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 18:53 »
GG - as a reward for the cryptic clues you have bothered to think up, do you have any double hellebores?  If not, I would be happy to send a couple to you (colour not guaranteed).  If you would like some PM me.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 13:10 »
Don't need any reward at all because I love doing it, but have PM-ed you - many thanks for your kind offer.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 13:14 »
Just wanted to say I placed an order with Unwins for 9 Hellebores plug plants (3 white, 3 yellow and 3 metallic blue) and all at a very reasonable price I thought. They arrived the other day and look really healthy and a decent size, so have just potted them up and will let you know how they flower.

xx
Hellebores

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 21:08
by Elaine G
xx
Container hellebores

Started by DIGGER on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 08, 2009, 23:58
by Trillium
xx
Green hellebores

Started by Sweetpea C on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2013, 20:01
by sunshineband
xx
When to plant Hellebores

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2011, 21:39
by ChristyRose

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 28 queries.