Cucamelon

• 32 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Cucamelon
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 21:01 »
They certainly do respond to a bit of feed  :lol:

The 2 plants I kicked out into the unheated greenhouse are going great guns.  They were planted into a big pot of a 50/50 mix of John Innes no. 2 and multi-purpose and are wrapped in a curtain of fleece.  They are already attaching tendrils to their obelisk and even have tiny flower buds on them  :ohmy:

The back-up plant on the kitchen windowsill is similarly throwing tendrils around searching for something to climb and also has flower buds. 

When I even suggest sowing early next year, someone remind me of this  ;)  :lol:

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 21:09 »
What did you feed them? I have them in growmore soil which has lots of food etc in it but they are still very tiny and haven't change  for about 5-6 days

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 22:08 »
What did you feed them? I have them in growmore soil which has lots of food etc in it but they are still very tiny and haven't change  for about 5-6 days

I'm in the same position. Seedlings are tiny wee things.
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 00:23 »
All of mine are up now. Can they/should they be fed before they get their first set of true leaves? I still have lots of nettle (and a bit of comfrey) tea left over from last season, so thinking about giving them this.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 05:52 »
Mine only got some houseplant feed as they were inside and I was feeding the houseplants  :)

The seedlings are tiny and take a while to do much, then they suddenly take off.  I wouldn't worry too much if they seem slow to get going   ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 08:11 »
When I even suggest sowing early next year, someone remind me of this  ;)  :lol:

I will - mine are attacking the bedroom nets as we speak - the 12! ! ! in the blowaway in the cold greenhouse are much better behaved, as they are growing much more slowly ;)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 11:13 »
I wonder - I can't remember whether I brought this up last year - when i tipped the compost out of the container there were fat fleshy tubers underneath. Do you think if you kept them somewhere moist and frost free over winter they would re-grow the following year?
Rachael

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 16:59 »
I wonder - I can't remember whether I brought this up last year - when i tipped the compost out of the container there were fat fleshy tubers underneath. Do you think if you kept them somewhere moist and frost free over winter they would re-grow the following year?

I did try that last season but they rotted off, despite my efforts. As this year's batch of seedlings is rapidly turning into tangle town, I guess I did not need to worry  :lol:

New Shoot, I shall have to harden some off and get them out into the mini tunnel at the plot ... I shall start tomorrow  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 12:47 »
I've now had 6/6 germinate  :) and the first set I potted on have just started to grow true leaves - they're not going to be breaking any records at this rate.

Steveharford

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 12:49 »
Wish I had down some of these now. Too late I suppose? Maybe I might be lucky enough to pick up a couple of plants from a nurseries. They sound interesting.

Lardman

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2014, 12:56 »
Wish I had down some of these now. Too late I suppose?

I'd send you some seed steve but it's probably easier / faster to order from PSD. When I've ordered over the weekend they've been here on Tuesday am. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUCAMELON-20-FINEST-SEEDS-/390806459370. Still plenty of time left to sow I should think.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 13:12 »
I've now had 6/6 germinate  :) and the first set I potted on have just started to grow true leaves - they're not going to be breaking any records at this rate.

That's better than me! I had 4/6 germinate and one of those only just germinated but didn't actually grow before it went white and died! The remaining 3 are just getting their first true leaves but don't need to be potted on yet as I gave them their own small pots like I did with the cucumbers which are going well now

Steveharford

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2014, 13:20 »
Thanks Lardman. I will get some on order. A few other things on the site which I will add on too. Not sure how I do a search on their eBay site, I may just keep flicking through the pages, which is fraught with danger of course ! :-)

Lincs Lottie

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 14:41 »
My dad's just given me 2 tiny cucamleon plug plants that came free with one of his plant orders.
I was just wondering if they would do better in  the greenhouse rather than on the allotment?
Would appreciate any advice please.
Many thanks.
LL xx

Lardman

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 14:57 »
I was just wondering if they would do better in  the greenhouse rather than on the allotment?

The ones in my top greenhouse are doing far better than those in the bottom,  it's much warmer and more humid than the bottom one, the plant I have by the door is really sulking so I don't think they'll like the outdoors much.

xx
Cucamelon

Started by AndyArch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 09:41
by sunshineband
xx
Cucamelon

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 01, 2014, 20:55
by blackberryjam
xx
Cucamelon help

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 12, 2015, 17:32
by robinahood
xx
cucamelon

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 22:10
by Charl89

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 31 queries.