potato woes

• 15 Replies

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
potato woes
« on: January 06, 2008, 18:36 »
hi all and happy new year to one and all last season all my main crop spuds had tiny holes in about 2mm dia when we cut the potato open it had a small creature in it that looked like a large ant any ideas any body as cant find much in the books some one did say he thought they were cut worms any ideas how to combat this it only effected the main crop these were cara early and 2nd early were un touched :?:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
potato woes
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 18:45 »

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
potato woes
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 18:51 »
Yep, I'd say wireworm. I have the same problem in that only maincrop seem to be affected. Apparently it is more of a problem on land that has recently come into cultivation, i.e. used to be grassland, which mine did. I don't know if you can get any resistant varieties, but I'm (hopefully) sidestepping the problem by only growing earlies this year! Incidentally, I did use some of my holey spuds, just cut out the bad bits then froze the good chunks!

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
potato woes
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 19:05 »
They were planted in ground which has been worked for over fifty years

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
potato woes
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 19:12 »
apparently these work nematode Heterorhabditis megadis  but does any body know where to buy them from?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
potato woes
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 21:10 »
Quote from: "bigsprouts"
apparently these work nematode Heterorhabditis megadis  but does any body know where to buy them from?

Have you tried http://www.defenders.co.uk/ ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

SkipRat

potato woes
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 22:30 »
I dont usually grow MC spuds as we get a lot of wire worm and slug damage here. But this year I,m going to trial "Goldenwonder" as they are said to have a very tough thick skin compared to a lot of other potatoes.
Will let you all know of the results when they are harvested.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
potato woes
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 23:04 »
Some varieties of potato are more resistant to wireworm.  I grew a fairly resistant second early last year called Lady Balfour, It was very successful.

sparky

potato woes
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 00:16 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Sounds like wireworm to me.

http://www.gardeners.com/wireworm-control/default/5311.page

Good link Aunty

Saw a few when I dug over our new allotment which was overgrown for a couple of years. would me digging it over reduce the numbers or are chemicals the only way to go?

gobs

potato woes
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 00:27 »
If you saw a few, you would like to double dig.

Else, it's chemicals, I don't know much about. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

potato woes
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 01:33 »
Quote from: "WG."
Sow mustard and dig it in.  The plentiful food supply means they all hatch out and b*gger off to find grassland somewhere else.

Well, they seem to spend 3-4 years as larvae in the soil, so can't see how they gonna b***er off, also, recently read an article on an experiment about mustard, etc used for fertilising ground, marginal difference it showed close to nothing.

WG.

potato woes
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 02:16 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Quote from: "WG."
Sow mustard and dig it in.  The plentiful food supply means they all hatch out and b*gger off to find grassland somewhere else.

Well, they seem to spend 3-4 years as larvae in the soil, so can't see how they gonna b***er off, also, recently read an article on an experiment about mustard, etc used for fertilising ground, marginal difference it showed close to nothing.

See http://www.cotswoldseeds.co.uk/summerGM.htm : Mustard is a rapid growing cover that is not winter hardy. It is easily established and used to mop up nitrogen, suppress weeds and reduce wireworm populations.

Or http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_51&products_id=393  : Sow March - September. Broadcast fairly thickly; dig in at or before flowering. Very fast growing. May help to control wireworms, which are fond of the decomposing plants and eat enough to reach adulthood in a single season, then fly away to find grassland in which to lay their eggs.

8)  :D

I also doubt the fertilising value of green manure (brown is easier) but I was answering from the point of view of wireworm control.

gobs

potato woes
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 07:25 »
That's what I read and I do not claim that it's the undoubted truth. :roll:

LINK

WG.

potato woes
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 09:15 »
Quote from: "gobs"
That's what I read and I do not claim that it's the undoubted truth. :roll:

LINK
A very minor effect in their trial then.  Thanks - why don't you post this link on the wysiwyggy Potato pests thread please.

Seems I can no longer take the word of my guru, Lawrence Hills, at face value then. :wink:  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
potato woes
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 09:47 »
3-4 years is right gobs.  Getting a bit bigger each year giving bigger holes in the potato,  Good crop rotation should reduce the population.

xx
seed potato woes continue

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 20, 2015, 13:22
by Salmo
xx
Celery woes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 11:16
by compostqueen
xx
Leeks and my woes!

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 11:08
by DD.
xx
blueberry woes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 19:44
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 31 queries.