Tying down or bending cherry trees

• 5 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Tying down or bending cherry trees
« on: February 19, 2014, 23:45 »
Does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom about tying down (bending) the branches of cherry trees to restrict their growth? I'm thinking of trying this with my new Stella cherry, but confess I don't know much about it! I'm hoping this might give me a chance of getting some cherries before the birds...

Trillium

Re: Tying down or bending cherry trees
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 19:53 »
Tying down tree limbs doesn't really restrict growth. In fruit trees, it's used to direct more hormones to fruit spurs to the tied branches for heavier cropping. I do this more with apple trees than cherries.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 22:52 »
Thanks Trillium. Are there any other techniques I could use to try and keep the tree size reasonable, that you know of? It's on Colt rootstock, if that's relevant?

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 03:36 »
Yes, it's relevant. This is what OneGreenWorld.com says about it:

Semi-dwarf Colt rootstock produces trees about 80% of standard size. Colt is adapted to most soils and forms a well-branched tree. Sweet Cherries on Colt rootstock can grow 12-15 ft. in height. Compact Stella, Hungarian and Pie Cherries will be smaller.

RootstockDescription:Considered a semi-dwarf rootstock, Colt produces trees about 80% of standard size. Colt is adapted to most soils and is hardy, vigorous, productive, and forms a well-branched tree. Sweet Cherries on Colt rootstock can grow to 12-15 ft. in height. Compact Stella, Hungarian and Pie Cherries will be smaller.

Size at Maturity:8-15 ft. in height depending on variety

Basically, on colt rootstock you're getting 3/4 of a standard tree. If you need a small tree, a dwarf tree would probably be a better choice. Is there any chance you could exchange it? Swap with or gift it to someone?
Otherwise, you'll need to do a lot of regular pruning to keep it small, and one of the laws of tree pruning is no more than 20% off a tree in any one year, or the tree suffers too much and will likely develop diseases or pest infestation in time. The leader branch would have to be trimmed short first, then some taken off side branches.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 15:10 »
This is my five year old cherry on a colt rootstock. I keep it pruned to a height I can net, and with good feeding it fruits well.

As you can see, it is pruned in sort of tiers to keep the middle open.

I have heard of the principle of tying down branches to promote fruiting, mainly with apples, but have not done this myself. I suppose it is the same as tying in climbing roses just below the horizontal, to increase bud production.

Cherries tend to be a bit stiffer than apples, so you may need very young whippy growth to make this work perhaps  :unsure:
cherry tree feb 14.jpg
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 20:32 »
Oo - that looks wonderful, as does the rest of your allotment! Most impressive. (She says, hurrying off to do some drastic allotment-tidying....)

xx
Cherry Trees

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 18:43
by Trillium
xx
Cherry trees

Started by boosmummy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 22:30
by joyfull
xx
cherry trees

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 17:26
by jolly jen
xx
Cherry Trees

Started by Potterer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2019, 11:15
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 36 queries.