How many Blueberry bushes?

• 10 Replies

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
How many Blueberry bushes?
« on: February 05, 2014, 11:30 »
I have just picked a Blueberry and Blackcurrant bush up an a cheap offer, but having just researched Blueberries I have found that they fruit better if there are two of them. Is this correct and if so, is the yield markedly increased on each bush by having more than one? 

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: How many Blueberry bushes?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:52 »
That's the usual advice, not just to have more than one, but of different varieties with similar flowering times.

I took the advice, so it's impossible to say what would have happened if I hadn't - all I can say is that I don't seem to get flowers not setting due to lack of pollination.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mum2mj

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 13:57 »
Hi JayG, which varieties do you have?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 14:43 »
Blimey, you nearly had me there (I've had them for nearly 10 years but somehow I did keep the labels!)

Berkeley and Patriot - Berkeley has always easily out-yielded Patriot despite only being about 2/3rd of its size, and the berries are larger and tastier too, although that could well be because Berkeley copes with my less than ideal soil better (I struggle to keep the pH down to what they really need.)

Agatha

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 15:22 »
How many?  As many as possible!  (Yum!)

I have Goldtraube, Earliblue and Top Hat.  Also Patriot, but they are tiny and haven't fruited yet.  Goldtraube and Earliblue crop best.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 15:31 »
I guess my cheap impulse buy may cost me a bit more then!!!!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 15:56 »
Berkeley on the left, Patriot on the right (you can see the difference in the number of flowers.)

You can also see the date - they were a bit late that year, they usually flower in April when it seems to be the bumble bees which have the responsibility for pollinating them.

I've just looked them up again and Berkeley is said to prefer lighter soil, which probably explains why it's doing better in my 'sandpit' than Patriot, which is said to tolerate heavy soils better than some other varieties do.
STA70002-1.JPG

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 16:09 »
It also depends on the size of the plants as well. I have some varieties that have hit 4 ft already, others that will never grow beyond 2 ft. Obviously the larger plants produce heaps more. If the rabbits find the plants, they chew the branches down to nubs and the plants need a few years to recover, let alone fruit.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 19:33 »
I was planning to have two... but it looks like I'm going to have four, because my order from November is so delayed that I couldn't help myself but get two while waiting for the two I ordered.

Anyone else having problems with Thompson and Morgan regarding blueberries? They told me they're having supplier problems, they keep extending the delivery time on their site. I'm assuming the flooding down south is to blame, they must have their nurseries down there.

JohnB47

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 20:14 »
I have a Chandler, a Duke and a Herbert. Why all male names I wonder?

Anyway, all are tasty but the Chandler has the best flavour and also has the largest fruit.

They're a great fruit to grow because they need very little care ( just planted in irrecascious compost and fed with acid loving plant feed twice a year) and picking is so easy - they just fall off the plant into your hand when ready. Theyre also very pretty - I had mine in pots on the patio for a season and they look great in spring summer and autumn. I might still get some more to keep at the house but they do need to be netted. The blackbirds love them too.

As for the health benefits, who knows.

Fisherman

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 18:26 »
We have two plants in pots but no idea what variety they are. Top them up each year with ericaceous compost and they get covered in fruit. Blackbirds love them so they need to be protected.

xx
Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:07
by Gardening Mark
xx
Blueberry bushes

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 22:16
by JohnB47
xx
blueberry bushes

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 00:42
by Trillium
xx
Blueberry Bushes

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2019, 14:46
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 28 queries.