when to start 1st earlies

• 19 Replies

jaydig

Re: when to start 1st earlies
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 17:05 »
I've re-planted haulms on my allotment. I usually do this when I start (impatiently) carefully lifting 1st earlies for a few 'new spuds'. If I find that there are still a lot of small tubers starting, I replant carefully and water in. Treat them like a newly planted pot plant remembering to water when they need it, and you should be rewarded with a decent crop of potatoes later on.

Robster

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 04:39 »
I have grown out of builders bags before that I filled with a mix of soil and garden compost and it works just fine.  But I'd hold off planting for a while.  When full the builders bags are impossible to move.  I have also used the smaller potato bags for growing in.  These also work well and you can plant earlier in these as long as you keep them in a green house.  I used my unheated greenhouse and it was just fine.  They can be moved outside later.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 08:51 »
We grew some Lady Christle (3 per big pot), in the greenhouse last year, and they cropped earlier as everyone said here!

But we also replanted the halms, and got the same amount again a couple of months later, when they were outside!

One of my veg suppliers at work (garden centre) does potates ready growing in a largish pot.  I know, I know, but people ask for them, so you have to stock nonsense like this  :wacko:

The label said replant into soil or a bigger pot for more crop, but the driver told me the nursery guys had tried them and knocked them out of the pot, picked the spuds carefully, then replanted in a slightly bigger pot with some fresh compost.  Kept fed and watered, they had had several crops from each plant.

We were amazed to hear it, but we did do much the same on a display pot we planted up and it does work.  Bit of a faff, but if you have limited space and either a cold greenhouse or a polytunnel, its worth a go  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 09:00 »
I should explain that last comment  ::)

The supplier's guys grew theirs under cover in a cold growing house and we had ours at work in the bedding area, so again under cover and fairly protected from the elements.  Pampered at they were, the plants grew very rapidly, so set several crops.

It may well work with a pot kept outside in a sheltered spot, but I haven't tried it  :)

Fisherman

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 17:41 »
Now - in pots in a frost free greenhouse.
Early March - under plastic cloches or in a cold greehouse.
End of March / early April - normal outside planting.
March sowing's can still get checked by frost. Keep an eye on the weather and cover the tops with fleece if there is a risk of frost.

clip
First earlies...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 17:10
by Growster...
xx
first earlies

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 16:44
by Bernard
xx
First earlies

Started by Handy Andi on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 20:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
after First earlies

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 13:53
by GreenOwl

Page created in 0.715 seconds with 37 queries.