HOW TO INCREASE ACIDITY IN SOIL?

• 18 Replies

3759allen

Re: HOW TO INCREASE ACIDITY IN SOIL?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 12:57 »
no worries plenty of time yet to get everything sorted.

just something on the ever growing list of jobs that prob aren't going to get done by time the sun decides to start shining and everything kicks off.

how moist have you been keeping your bushes? i read that they prefer moisture than being dry. my soil is pretty sandy and naturally well draining so i'm a bit concerned they may dry out too much.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 13:53 »
Mine were planted directly into the soil, which is also sandy, but if you use large pots sunk into the soil yours won't be significantly worse off than mine are - the pots will certainly not dry out as quickly as they would out in the open.

They do need to be kept moist though, and I make sure I don't forget about them altogether during dry spells, but I don't really water them a lot more than anything else, although I do use rainwater on them, and also a mulch to conserve moisture (nothing fancy, just used MP compost.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 16:34 »
They have been moist enough- but to dig the hole deep enough I had to go into the sub soil which is clay , which does not drain very well to say the least. I know, my double digging attempts consist of breaking it up with a pick axe !

3759allen

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 16:41 »
thanks for the replies.

think i'll try drilling 10 holes but not put the grit in to try and keep them moist enough, i'm thinking the sandy soil will keep the drainage good enough.

i'll also be using mulch to keep moisture in and act as a slow release pep up for them.

i'll update with a new post when i get results (good or poor).

xx
Soil acidity

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 19:24
by DavidT
xx
wood chips to increase organic content of soil?

Started by svenrufus on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 20:03
by celjaci
xx
Acidity

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2009, 23:55
by sclarke624
xx
Increase in allotment rent

Started by gus on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 15:47
by fibilou

Page created in 1.113 seconds with 29 queries.