what to do

• 3 Replies

alexroyall85

what to do
« on: January 26, 2014, 15:40 »
Hi all

i finished clearing the new plot last weekend and was just wondering if the was anything that i could be doing before the mad rush of sowing in the spring. I have over wintered some garlic and some onions as i was keen to get something in the ground.

Cheers
Alex

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: what to do
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 15:53 »
Sit back and put your feet up.

You'll wish you could later!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 16:12 »
DD is right, not much you can do at the moment planting wise, except soft fruit bushes, if you are going to be growing these. 

You could be constructing fruit or veg cages to protect your produce or compost bins. You can never have too many of them  ;)

If the soil is really wet, best to stay off it competely, as walking on it will compact it and destroy the structure  :)

grinling

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 23:03 »
Feel smug is a great start...choosing  & chitting potatoes, choosing shallots if you like pickle onions.
make a plan of the plots so spacing is useful for a rough idea and make a month plan for getting veg in and work backwards for sowing time. make sure you have enough of things and that pumpkins/squash/outdoor cucumber can grow under tall plants.
Think of paths and stick to them.
Go weekly if poss and check for weeds...sun here has produced the first lot.
Make paper pots for peas/beans

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 36 queries.