Leeks, recommended varieties

• 15 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Leeks, recommended varieties
« on: January 19, 2014, 16:06 »
I need to get better organised with my leeks. I've had a great harvest of Musselburgh but now they're going woody.

What I really want is two crops, one for autumn and another for winter/early spring. Can anyone recommend early and late varieties and at the same time indicate sowing and planting out times for up here in the frozen North please?

AnneB

Re: Leeks, recommended varieties
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 16:27 »
I only have room for one variety and grow a late one, Bleu de Solaise.   I sow in March, pot on into deepish containers and plant out in July to follow my early potatoes.   It stands really well over winter, is slow to bolt and lasts until March the following year.   

We are in Bradford, so I think would be fine in Carlisle.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:20 »
This is my first year growing leeks so I cannot claim to be an expert. I wanted to plant them in the containers after my potatos had been harvested. It was a last minute decision so I bought plug plants. I bought the Winter Duo Pack from suttons.co.uk  which had

Poulton F1 (a short-shafted variety which produces high quality leeks with high density and attractive dark colour) and Vitaton F1 (an ideal partner to Poulton, allowing a supply of leeks well into the late winter).
LINK

I have been really impressed. They have grown well, look good and taste awesome  :D  I will definitely be growing them again. I know that this is a more expensive option than seeds but with room/time at a premium at that time of year I thought that they were really good value. It felt really good just popping them in where the potatoes had been; why hadnt I thought of it before  :unsure:

Looking at their site they also do an autumn duo pack consisting of

'Duration F1 (a quick-yielding late summer/early autumn variety) and Megaton F1 (a high-yielding hybrid that combines earliness with a long harvesting window thanks to its low risk of bolting). 

They need planting too early for my needs (May) but may suite you. I hope that this helps.

Edit:
URL too long for page so converted to "LINK" (although it unfortunately returns "page not found" anyway.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 13:23 by JayG »

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 13:08 »
Over the years, I have tried several varieties of leeks, but the best for a long white shank (the tenderest part) seems to be Tornado (aka Autumn Mammoth 2). Despite planting the other varieties in a deep hole, they didn't have the white shank length my chef OH wanted for cooking. These are also very tasty. Having looked today at other choices to expand the season, it seems that they all can be harvested over the winter whether as smaller leeks or left until the New Year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

syks grower

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 13:46 »
I sow in 2 batches 1 early and one late  i used musselburgh for both and have nice young leeks for harvest after the early sown ones are done .

This came about by accident when I had a poor germination and had to re sow a month later.

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 14:33 »
I've grown some Jaune de Poitou as an early leek this year, apparently not particularly cold hardy (although they are surviving so far), which I think taste great - slightly sweeter than most leeks I've tried before.

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 18:22 »
Oarsman for me every time.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 21:13 »
bleu de solaise did well for me too.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 06:22 »
Blauwgroene Bandit (Thompson and Morgan).

They're a late leek, and respond extremely well to weekly liquid feeding with comfrey, nettle and 6X tea, until autumn. (September).

So far, they've grown bigger than any we've tried before, and not one has bolted yet, so fingers crossed.

I did a rough count yesterday, and we still have about 150 standing well!

I hope they'll all last until the wilderness months in early spring...

JohnB47

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 17:57 »
This year I'm going for mussleburg as my early and bleu do solaise as the late. My bleu are looking well now but I could have done with some earlier.

Ive also noticed that a neighbouring plot holders mussleburg did great, despite being planted out as very thin seedlings. In contrast, my bleu de solaise were kept back until they were pencil thick and didn't get away nearly as quick as his. Perhaps it was just a variety thing but I'm planning to get them in the ground a bit quicker next year.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 21:21 »
Thanks for all that advice. It seems like I'll do Musselburgh for early and Bleu de Soleil and Blauwgroen Bandit for lates

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 18:23 »
"Megaton F1 (a high-yielding hybrid that combines earliness with a long harvesting window thanks to its low risk of bolting)."

I can highly recommend these. I grew them the year before last and they were ready for picking in September and lasted right through till well into March. Still nice and crisp at the end, even though they were absolutely huge, and no sign of rust at all.

I couldn't get any for this season and was extremely disappointed.

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 08:11 »
I got some free DT Browns trial seeds a couple of years ago of a variety called 'porbella'.

They were so good I've ordered them again and again,  they produced good large tasty stems that stood up well to the harsh winter we had last year.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 10:56 »
"Megaton F1 (a high-yielding hybrid that combines earliness with a long harvesting window thanks to its low risk of bolting)."
I couldn't get any for this season and was extremely disappointed.
D T Brown have them at £2.19 for 50. Just ordered some

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 00:06 »
I'm feeling all a bit overwhelmed by this.... fatcat recommends Oarsman and I've seen these recommended elsewhere. At T&M 40 seeds are £3.00 while at Moles, 250 seeds are £4.00.... what I want is about 100 I guess

I buy a lot of my seeds from Moles but as I started filling my basket yesterday – and with four items (veg) I was already up to £16.... so when I popped into Aldi tonight I picked up a packet of Musselburgh, 250 for 39p. I appreciate there are early and later maturing leeks but I could ask if there is any that you would not recommend?

xx
Recommended Varieties

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 01, 2007, 11:16
by WG.
xx
Apples? Varieties recommended

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 09:38
by Martin
xx
recommended strawberry varieties

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2016, 17:53
by missmoneypenny
xx
Fruit Trees - Any recommended varieties or suppliers

Started by allstars_princess on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 22, 2009, 18:31
by allstars_princess

Page created in 0.578 seconds with 38 queries.