recommended strawberry varieties

• 5 Replies

missmoneypenny

recommended strawberry varieties
« on: October 18, 2016, 17:43 »
My Cambridge Favourites are now 5 years old so I am pulling them up and thinking about what to replace them with (not in the same spot). Any recommendations for well flavoured, not too disease prone varieties? Thank you.

Bing

• Experienced Member
Re: recommended strawberry varieties
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 22:28 »
did they produce any runners? they are new plants and will give you another three years of good corp.

Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 16:39 »
did they produce any runners? they are new plants and will give you another three years of good corp.

An easy, and cheap, way to go, especially if you like the strawbs you already have. I've just generated 50 plants to take to my new plot this way.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 12:05 »
Thanks yes there is a profusion of runners. Dumb question alert: when do I pot them up? If it's now will they be hardy over the winter ( I don't have a greenhouse). I'm in london.
The variety is nice (heavy cropping, good but not exceptional flavour) although i will say the storing quality is awful. They literally go off in a few hours if left on the kitchen worktop.

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 12:29 »
Thanks yes there is a profusion of runners. Dumb question alert: when do I pot them up? If it's now will they be hardy over the winter ( I don't have a greenhouse). I'm in london.
The variety is nice (heavy cropping, good but not exceptional flavour) although i will say the storing quality is awful. They literally go off in a few hours if left on the kitchen worktop.

You can do it now - I 'pin' the new plant to the surface of compost in a 3" pot with a 'U' of wire, leave them for a week or 2 to form some decent roots and then snip off from the parent plant close to new one. They'll be as hardy as the parent and can be planted on or left in the pots till early spring - I've done both in the past and found no real difference in either method.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 17:53 »
Thanks mr Dog that explains it well. Guess I'll be thrifty 'lottie style  and bring on some runners. I'll also re plant in a different spot and do fewer this time. They really do get a march on!

xx
Recommended Varieties

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 01, 2007, 11:16
by WG.
xx
Apples? Varieties recommended

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 09:38
by Martin
xx
Leeks, recommended varieties

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 07:24
by Lisbon67
xx
Fruit Trees - Any recommended varieties or suppliers

Started by allstars_princess on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 22, 2009, 18:31
by allstars_princess

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 36 queries.