diets and pastry

• 17 Replies

chrissie B

diets and pastry
« on: January 13, 2014, 19:29 »
have come across a hairy bikers pie recipe including low fat pastry , yes low fat , what they have used is packets of pizza dough mix , so im going to have a go and see what they are like , they looked quite nice .

chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

snowdrops

Re: diets and pastry
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 20:48 »
They also have one for FILO pastry that is cut up into squares & then scrunched up on top of the filling,I've done it a few times,hubby said he preferred it that way.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 20:54 »
Pizza dough isn't exactly low fat tho and is as high in carbs (if not higher). I'm not a huge pastry fan luckily but if I was I think I would rather have 'normal' pastry but less often or make it a lot thinner

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 21:20 »
Mega carbs, actually. We've really cut back on pastry of all sorts, and if we want some, we use half the usual amount of dough, roll the crust very thin and cut small portions after baking.

A healthier choice is something like Greek yogurt with thawed blueberries. For some reason, freezing them then thawing them seems to sweeten them a lot, so no sugar or sweetener is needed.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 21:30 »
pastry has a half fat to flour ratio......and no air in the mix.

pizza dough has much less oil (or no oil) to flour than pastry and the result has air in it so I would think the amount for a pie topping would be a fair bit lower in calories.

Greek yogurt wouldn't seem right instead of the pastry on the meat and potato pie chrissie is talking about  ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/low-fat_minced_beef_and_34423

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 21:37 »
Oh, she didn't say so I assumed she was talking about a fruit pie. Hairy bikers recipes are basically unheard of over here.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 21:38 »
 :D it tickled me  :nowink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 21:52 »
After watching the Hairy Dieters, I have started to use filo.  Sometimes when I do little salmon fillets, I wrap them in little filo parcels.

Otherwise, on the odd occasion I make something like the Chrimbly mince pies or the few sausage rolls I made, I use puff pastry, but roll it really thin with my posh rolling pin!  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:05 »
You can make slimmers pastry with yogurt. It's good. I made cranberry mincepies with it at Christmas. It won't be as good as all butter but there we are  :D 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:09 »
You can grate frozen pastry over a cooked pie filling, as long as the filling is not too liquid. Then you can use only a very small quantity ---don't go mad or there is no point!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Willow_Warren

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 14:18 »
Having worked for a pastry manufacturer in the past (I'm sure all of you people make your own pastry - but there are those opt for the easy option - and lets face it, it's those people who ultimatly pay my bills...  :lol:).

Anyhow, I digress!  We developed a low fat pastry that was for sale in the shops and I have to say it was aweful!!! Some things just shouldn't be low fat and pastry is one of them!

Hannah :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 15:36 »
Having worked for a pastry manufacturer in the past (I'm sure all of you people make your own pastry - but there are those opt for the easy option - and lets face it, it's those people who ultimatly pay my bills...  :lol:).

Anyhow, I digress!  We developed a low fat pastry that was for sale in the shops and I have to say it was aweful!!! Some things just shouldn't be low fat and pastry is one of them!

Hannah :)

I tried it when it hit the shops....once! I think the real answer is to use a deep pie dish so less pastry to filling. Though I am veggie my Mum was from Yorkshire and meat and tater pie came with plenty of well stewed lean shin, good chunks of part cooked tater, thin gravy (so a bit less carbs) over the tater than suet crust pastry. But a  really good home made shortcrust rolled thin but not every day, have it as a real treat. If you skimp on the butter you will have hard pastry, so not enjoyable. Marge/spread has too many additives and is still fat so same calories. Low fat spread makes hard pastry because of the high water content.

So, small amount very rarely, look forward to it as a treat!

chrissie B

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 11:11 »
I should have said it was small mince pies , I suppose your all right , there is no substitute for good home made pastry , but I will give it ago see whats it like I suppose its just a calzone in a different shape .
thanks for the input
chrissie b

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 13:34 »
The yogurt one I made was thin and crisp, and with a lovely filling you don't feel short-changed  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 14:24 »
I should have said it was small mince pies ,chrissie b

Are we talking about the Christmas type mince pies or minced beef pies?  :wacko:

xx
Pastry trimmings

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 23:49
by Poolfield2
xx
Pastry Help - Now sorted!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 22:09
by Gandan57
xx
Ice's ALTERNATIVE PASTRY FOR QUICHES AND FLANS

Started by arugula on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 19:10
by arugula
xx
Short crust pastry recipe please.

Started by stompy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 12:20
by PurplePixie

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 29 queries.