What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #780 on: April 23, 2014, 17:35 »
I was going to put a new latch on the shed, but forgot the screwdriver >:( .  Oh well, I thought, I'll take some nails out of the planks from the old shed, but had forgotten the claw hammer :mad: .  Thought I'd peel the plastic off the new shed window glass, but the middle peeled off leaving tattered bits of green plastic stuck round the edges  >:( .
Right, that's it, I'm off home. Very frustrating.
Anne

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #781 on: April 24, 2014, 17:19 »
Mike dug over the final bed, I attacked the weeds on the paths with a spray of glyphosate (with the teeniest spray bottle known to man, held as close to the darn things as possible to avoid wind spray)!
Came home and decided today was the day to sow Squash, Pumpkins, Cucumbers, Courgettes and although rather late, sowed some chilli's as I had space left in the seed trays.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Yana

« Reply #782 on: April 24, 2014, 17:51 »
Sprayed Blackcurrant bushes on plot 2 to try to get rid of whatever is causing the leaves to curl. Diluted comfrey tea and watered all fruit on plot 2. Made new batch of comfrey tea that needs to stew for a bit before use.
Uncovered last bed on plot 1 (removed winter black plastic cover). Top dressed with chicken manure pellets, raked well, trod down as this will have brassicas in and covered with fabric weed suppressant membrane. The rain forecast over the next few days will give it a good water and then I can plant out kohl rabi and cabbage.
Put up last years B&Q gazebo (I kid you not) in bed on plot 1 that had been uncovered a couple of weeks ago. Covered with netting and then worked inside gazebo planting calabrese and Brussels. Gave a good water even though rain forecast. Chucked a few slug pellets down for good measure. Had a few plants left over so gave them to fellow plot holders.
Weeded onions, shallots, peas and broad beans. First planting of broad beans are flowering nicely but can't seed any pods yet.
Cobbled together bits of chicken wire to fence off third side of  plot 2 as the darn foxes are in evidence.
Weeded raspberries on plot 3, dug out a couple of suckers as they seemed a long way from the parent plant and were growing almost in the path.
Had a few cups of coffee, a couple of biscuits and came home tired, dirty but VERY happy with the days work.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #783 on: April 24, 2014, 21:08 »
Dug over my largest bed, lovely day to get the weeds out  :wacko:, despatched a huge number of slugs, cut path edges, strawed me strawbs  8)
Feeling happy now my pumpkins corg and cues are up in the greenhouse and looking good.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #784 on: April 24, 2014, 21:12 »
Took out the kale and dug that over ready for peas. Set out my few French beans and crossed fingers that the slugs won't find them. Plot v sodden, and more rain forecast, so I'd better try and find my store of patience.

Flowertot

« Reply #785 on: April 24, 2014, 21:55 »
Weeded, weeded some more, removed slugs and transplanted various seedlings into their right places.

blackberryjam

« Reply #786 on: April 24, 2014, 22:18 »
Poped down to plant my peas that I'd started in guttering. It was not easy putting them in their planting position I found, they just  fell apart as I gently pushed  them out .  Next time they go straight in the ground .

Lardman

« Reply #787 on: April 24, 2014, 22:25 »
Put up the cage around the blueberry bushes, covered what's left of my decimated tatsoi and scattered a few blue pellets. Pulled a flower stem from my last rhubarb crown - it can't be bothered with leaves anymore it's just moved straight to flowering  :mad: 

Pulled yet more bindweed from the raspberry bed my annual gift from next doors garden and then cursed loudly at the stinging nettle hiding in a clump of forget-me-nots I grabbed  :nowink: Cleaned out the chicken coop and turned the wastes onto the squash bed, I'll fork it in after some rain. I only have 3 beds left and don't see to have planted anything  :wacko:

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #788 on: April 24, 2014, 22:31 »
Weeded, sowed tree kale, salsify, scorzonera, peas, and planted our sarpo mira potatoes and asparagus crowns.
Moved five globe artichoke plants to their final bed, hope we've not done too much harm.
Picked the final swedes and celeriac and two globe artichokes.
herbiegrowsbananas

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #789 on: April 24, 2014, 22:55 »
Potted on butternut squash, courgette, marrow,  melon, aubergines, chillies, sweetpeas,spot of weeding watering  and planted some more leeks :D
diggity dig dig

Yana

« Reply #790 on: April 25, 2014, 09:57 »
Nipped up quick this morning to do a bit of weeding and checked on the parsnips. Yes, there is life and the seedlings are coming through. Weeded carefully round them and then came home as the rain started.
Lots of sowing to do again indoors so rain not a problem for me.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #791 on: April 25, 2014, 10:13 »
Nothing is going to be done on the plot today - I have just painted my nails!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now what shall I do today?

Jackypam

« Reply #792 on: April 25, 2014, 12:51 »
Went to the stables down the road, filled the boot with manure ( not literally - I put it in buckets and bags), then dug over and weeded the raised bed for the beans and dug in the manure.  It is definitely working, all the beds now resemble growing medium rather than pot making medium  :D

grendel

« Reply #793 on: April 25, 2014, 13:13 »
Nothing is going to be done on the plot today - I have just painted my nails!!!!!!!!!!!!!
does hammering them in not affect the paint finish? :-)
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #794 on: April 25, 2014, 13:16 »
does hammering them in not affect the paint finish? :-)
Grendel

:lol: :lol:

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie

Page created in 1.435 seconds with 30 queries.